Something neat on YouTube

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JUST AN FYI...the crank sensor was dropped / broken a night or two prior to these trucks running thus not correct torque readings for anyone....

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope to see there new numbers next weekend too.
I love the way racindrumins truck looks..lots of power too.

It is definitely a nice truck. Hopefully soon mine will look that good. I can't wait to buy a Db4 eventually too!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JUST AN FYI...the crank sensor was dropped / broken a night or two prior to these trucks running thus not correct torque readings for anyone....

It definitely will be nice to see the torque readings. The horsepower wasn't affected by the sensor though. The low readings with that part was due to the operator from what I understood. I am sure that they will be a bit higher next time though. I can't wait to see those torque curves!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I thought dyno's measured torque and used a mathematical equation based on torque, rpm's, and a constant to achieve hp figures.:dunno Wouldn't we be missing the hp figure?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Horsepower= (tqXrpm)/5252
Horsepower is a fake number that a dyno creates. It's only as used of a number as it is because it helps sale high revving SBC's. Torque is what you feel and need.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that stuff but I was under the assumption that a lot of Dynojets just measure horsepower a lot of the time cus there are a lot of them that don't have an rpm pick up... It does seem weird to me though.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Horsepower= (tqXrpm)/5252
Horsepower is a fake number that a dyno creates. It's only as used of a number as it is because it helps sale high revving SBC's. Torque is what you feel and need.

Here is a quote from RacinNdrummin explaining a Dynojet the same way as I have always understood it. I will also try to find an article tomorrow that I read a while back explaining the difference between different dynos.

The Dynojet we dyno'd on is an inertia dyno, and the reason they measure HP is because they measure the rate at which the vehicle can accelerate the drum the wheels are turning... Anytime you measure the acceleration of something doing work, you are measuring HP. Torque is just the measurement of force, HP is the measurement of Force over time... Thats why an inertia dyno measures HP and and calculates torque. We are heading to a load based dyno next wednesday that measures torque, and calculates HP... The opposite of the dynojet. Well have both numbers on the graphs then.

Last edited:

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a quote from RacinNdrummin explaining a Dynojet the same way as I have always understood it. I will also try to find an article tomorrow that I read a while back explaining the difference between different dynos.

I bet the first is more accurate hp, and the second more accurate torque. To me, I throw away hp numbers, because that just shows how high an engine can rev. Look at detroit 2 stroke hp and torque numbers, and watch them outrun and outpull engines with 4 times the hp.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Goose, are you not going to post over at PSN anymore?

I am not on that site. The only other site I belong to truck related is FTE, I have about 10 posts there. I actually chatted with Justin on FB today. It was good to catch up with him.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was there on dyno day, all the trucks were having problems spooling there turbo's because of the fact that the dyno is a inertia type. most guys were running up through the gears then holding at 1000rpm or so then stabing it. Some guys power braked some to get the turbo to spool but most felt it skewed the numbers on the low end to do so. I took a ride in Justins truck and it realy runs good on the street. He can get 38psi on the road easy. Its totaly Nasty when you romp on it but runs like a stocker when you stay out of the throttle. Its the total package, power, traction bars, gauges, underhood clean and tight, paint and style to boot. He has done a great job on his Truck and has helped more than a few guys get started on there own builds. I hope NMB2 and racinNdrummin back up there numbers at the next dyno day and put the last few people that were doubting the power output of the IDI to start to think there on to something here.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the first is more accurate hp, and the second more accurate torque. To me, I throw away hp numbers, because that just shows how high an engine can rev. Look at detroit 2 stroke hp and torque numbers, and watch them outrun and outpull engines with 4 times the hp.

I agree with ya there...