Somebody Needs To Buy Several Of These

brandonlear

Reaction score
Are these notorious for going bad, or just a good deal? I just purchased a 91 last Thursday and I'm not sure if mine works to be honest. If they're known for going bad, I'll pick up a few.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though it is almost 100 degrees out here I'm investing in one or two because I know my block heater doesn't work

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 85 with the weak casting numbers...dont remember them off the top of my head. I'd like to get one but dont want to take a chance cracking my block. I'll probably get an inline unit for the lower radiator hose.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Are these notorious for going bad, or just a good deal? I just purchased a 91 last Thursday and I'm not sure if mine works to be honest. If they're known for going bad, I'll pick up a few.
Yes, they either stop working or even worse the screw and or the bar that clamps it to the block rots away then they fall out. This results in an immediate total loss of coolant and the impending engine damage due to overheating.
It doesn't matter if you use it or not your truck has one from the factory and it still can fail. An option is to put a freeze plug in its place but thats a pita with engine in the truck.
I bought one. For that price its worth it just for the cord. THANKS GARRY
I always wanted to put a retractable cord reel behind the grill so I don't need to carry an extension. I thought of this a long time ago but never did it.

Last edited:

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With four or five idi's in the stable, buying three of them just seemed to make sense. Thanks Gary.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell, my heater works, but I still snagged one for that price. Just like I bought TWO 3G alts at the yard and keep the extra in the toolbox LOL

Thanks Gary!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mann for 15 bucks cant go wrong! when i pull my engine for the complete truck teardown i pull put this new one in. thanks gary!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online