Some opinions on a vehicle for wmo etc

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the number of guys here on the OB that run PS 7.3's, think you'll be ok, with getting advice/info.
If it is a IDI, same thing applys, on the surface it looks good.
Honestly looks & sounds like many of the pickups that are talked about here.
Then its just a question of what kind of system your gonna use, how much money a person will spend etc, welcome aboard.
I get a little chuckle about the $400 "paint job" that Maaco will do, not so sure that $400 will get you a glorified "buff" & detailed job.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If that 94 is an Automatic, it is an IDI. They only offered the ZF-5 behind the 7.3PSD in 94. No auto option for the PSD in 94.

psl sniper

Reaction score
If that 94 is an Automatic, it is an IDI. They only offered the ZF-5 behind the 7.3PSD in 94. No auto option for the PSD in 94.

it is an automatic. so what would be better for alt fuels? the 7.3 idi or a mercedes in good working condition. heres a mercedes ive been looking at as well
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4742280867.html

i like that the mercedes gets decent mpg, i was planning on doing a heated tank for veg, and maybe once in awhile run 15-20% filtered wmo. with diesel.

i used to run 85 wmo to 15 rug in my old m35a2. i ended up selling it do to it being so impractical.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going the Merz route, shoot for something newer and turboed. I can attest that the om603s run fine on even pure gear oil in the summer. I have no experience with an om617, but I am picking one up in the spring if it's still hanging around. 1986 300SD everything including the tires and body are absolutely flawless. The owner dumped about 4 grand into it fixing little stuff only to have the tranny go down weeks later. He parked it. While one of my merz's is down due to a sudden loss of compression, I cannot blame that on the WMO fuel, becasue it was burning the exact same fuel my other vehicles ran and they are problem free. WELL, thats a lie, the compression is down on the old IDI, but it's got over 450,000 on the original engine. It also ran many thousands of pure WMO and WMO blended. It's compression slowly went down as expected even if it ran pure d2 the whole way. Two different diesel guys warned me that it would be going down soon due to the sheer amount of mileage on an original engine. Still runs, but is a pain to start and burns so much crankcase oil it's impractical to use it unless I need it. Little blue is still running strong and it has MANY many miles of pure and blended gear oil and WMO. It alone is responsible for the consumption of 400 gallons of gear oil and about 300 of WMO since I bought it. It gets a S%&t ton of miles weekly. The 94 is most likely an IDI, which makes it more attractive to me as the parts are tons cheaper for it than they are for a PSD. A reman injector is only 30 bucks for an IDI. Pump 600. You can replace the pump and injectors for what a few injectors for a PSD cost.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing that would make the 350 a sweeter deal is duals in the rear. I love the stiffness that duals provide when you are dragging 30,000lbs behind you.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I will say that you will most likely spend less money getting the ford up to par (glow plugs, injectors, injection pump, return lines and fittings) than you would on the mercedes. Josh seems to have decent luck with them and know them well, but it's just my opinion that mercedes are more like a high maintenance high school girlfriend and unless they were well taken care of they will hurt your wallet. I have a 94 ford IDI Turbo. It's easy, burns waste oil, and cheap. Plus, I can haul stuff with it (for free).

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I treat my merz's like that cheap girl at the trailer park with daddy issues...maybe I'm just lucky lol.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hands down the mercedes will be easier to run WMO in. More robust injection injection system. Ive got about 100k of WVO experience on my 617 turbo and about 50K on various 7.3 IDIs. The lift pump on the 617 will suck the chrome off a bumper and then ram it into a bosch inline piston pump that seems indestructable. The 7.3 is a lot finickier about viscosity and temp.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say this... I was in blue springs a few weeks ago and asked about rebuilding injectors and pumps and the cost etc. The guy who has been in the Mercedes repair business for over thirty years told me he wouldn't know about rebuilding one, because he's never seen any worn out enough to need rebuilding.

He showed me an OM617 in his lot that had 670,000 miles. He was the original mechanic for both owners and said he has done very little to it aside from regular maintenance. It was in his shop for a new fan clutch, it's first one since it was new as far as he knew. I would say little red lost it's compression due to my wife running it so low on oil the pressure hand started telling her it needed oil.

The old 7.3 IDI's weren't nick named the 500,000 mile engine for nothing either.

If I had plenty of money and could do everything over again, I would do exactly the same thing, purchase some daily driver cars, and a BIG truck to haul all my crap when I want to. The only thing I desire to add to my fleet is a small truck with an IDI 3.0 or 2.4 in it. THAT of course will require a custom build. I an VERY seriously considering dropping a power plant tranny and all from a 300D into an S10 or other small framed truck.

metrobruce

Reaction score
The only thing I desire to add to my fleet is a small truck with an IDI 3.0 or 2.4 in it. THAT of course will require a custom build. I an VERY seriously considering dropping a power plant tranny and all from a 300D into an S10 or other small framed truck.[/QUOTE]

over in the uk there are loads of 'small' trucks, idi lumps are in vehicles such as diahatsu 4track this has a lovley 2.8 td power plant which can be tweeked to around 150bhp reliably, there are also some di engines that are awsome for running on oil too, ford transit 2.5di is an awsome engine and runs on anything that bangs, I used to collect scrap for a living and had a pickup truck with this engine in, apart from needing a small sniff of ether when the temps dropped below 0 celcius, they will fire up. as stated before the old mercedes lumps are pretty indestructible and parts to repair them are fitted to so many different vehicles over here, what sort of fuel pumps do the 7.3idi trucks use, the most common pumps for oil here are bosch ve type and inline bosch pumps on large articulated lorrys. would it not be possible to import any of engines mentioned ?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The 6.9/7.3 idi trucks use a Stanadyne DB2 pump. Like this
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

psl sniper

Reaction score
So i went with a 1986 ford f250 extended cab 4x4. has 145,000. on the clock 6.9l na idi. no smoke in exhaust, and starts like a dream even at 5:00 am in 17 degree weather. has a small oil leak. one or 2 spots after driving. all in all im happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online