Solidstate GP controler, cold start system

RossCo

Reaction score
Alright so I purchased the Diesel RX solidstate GP controller about a year ago and am going to install on my 6.9idi. I have read up on rewiring the upgrade in but, have a few quick question. Here goes.
Everything I've read says just unplug the old controller at the back of the engine block. If I do this will the cold start timing advance / high idle still work?
Sorry to add to the GP menotany but, I guess it is winter afterall.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be plug and play. The new controller will replace the existing one and the wiring harness fits the same. You may loose some coolant when you remove the controller. The cold advance is controlled by a sensor in the head just behind the thermostat so it should continue to work as it did before.

RossCo

Reaction score
Perfect so the cold start timing advance and high idle are controlled by a separate system then. Correct?

RossCo

Reaction score
Alright guys, just a little follow up. I installed the new controller and as far as I can tell everything seems to be working fine. Key on, WTS light comes on, fires up nice once the light goes out, momentary glows for a few seconds after but, as far as I can tell nothing wrong.
The only thing that causes me pause is I installed the system on the fender in place of the old GP relay. I didn't realize till today that in the write up I originally read I'm pretty sure it was intended to be installed at the back of the motor.
So the question is I guess, am I hurting anything with it being installed and working the way I have it (on the inner fender).
You must be registered for see images attach

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you're not hurting anything. It's a popular location for serviceability and access to use a switch from under the hood, too. I would have put mine there when I installed the factory turbo, but the space is already occupied with a Facet 40285 electric lift pump :)

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youre fine with it there, might add a pushbutton next to the controller coming off the terminal and going to a ground. Makes for easy diagnosis and starting from under the hood.

RossCo

Reaction score
Hmmm not a bad idea there..I assume your referring to adding a manual glow push button.? I will say the first thing I'm going to go is clean up that wiring some and add an off switch for the glow function for hot starts. It's my guess that is why the solid state controllers seem to burn out faster. All that on..off...on..off. everytime you turn the key. The original style didn't do that. I was kind of bummed about that once I hooked up the upgrade.
Kind of even hurt pulling the original out. As in, it is literally the original from 1985 with 420k on it..-Lame