Solid axle swap on 1996 f-250

SMOKINANDSTROKIN

Reaction score
I have a 1996 f-250 that I am planning on changing to a solid axle. I have a donor truck that is a 1985 F-250 that has been converted to a solid axle as well. Should everything bolt up? What are some measurements that I need to take to make sure? Also, the solid axle is off a 1979 Ford, I am hoping that this will be a matter of unbolting off the donor, and bolting it back on to my truck, things don't usually work that way though! Any suggestions/tips? Anything will help!! Thanks!

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
My concern would be the axle and springs off the older Ford might not have been heavy enough for the diesel motor since it wasn't available those years. I believe most of these swaps have been with Dana 60s off trucks from the 80's to the current years of the truck it's going on. I could be wrong since I've never attempted this.

SMOKINANDSTROKIN

Reaction score
1996 SOLID AXLE SWAP

I KNOW THE PSD IS HEAVY, THE 1985 DONOR IS A 6.9 DIESEL, HEAVY DUTY 6" LIFT SPRINGS, I AM PLANNING ON TAKING SPRINGS AND ALL. THIS SHOULD SUPPORT THE PSD, SHOULDN'T IT? I HOPE THAT STEERING AND EVERYTHING WILL MATCH RIGHT UP...ONCE AGAIN, ANY TIPS/SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT!

IDIeselman

Reaction score
I have the 4" softride suspension for a 79 under my truck and have no sagging issues thus far, The 400 that came factory weighs more than a 460 and is very close the same weight as the diesel.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO the 79 and older trucks are way stronger than anything made later. One of the goals of the 1980 redesign was to reduce weight, part of which was making the frame thicker. Look at any 80+ Cab & Chassis, it will have a frame reinforcement rivited on under the cab to make the frame stronger.

Of course we aren't talking about frames, we are talking about the front axle. Still it should be plenty strong to handle the weight.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dana 60 is a Dana 60. The differences in the "flavors" of the 60 is kingpin or balljoint. I know there's a lurking member here who used a Ford center section and chevy knuckles in order to gain better braking with the GM setup.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my buddy is in process of doing this right now....i think he did need to change the spring perches, but only like a 1/2 inch on each side.... that chould be kingpin...;Sweet ... I dont think the u-joint sizes would be different but check on that too...as for the springs, I dont think that would be a problem...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online