soldering a rad?

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well had an issue happen last weekend on my 94 f350 7.3 turbo idi, years ago when i bought it the PO said he changed the water pump. I rarely use the truck anymore so very few miles put on it in the last 4 years. Heard what sounded like a bearing noise didnt think much of it since ive had problems with the alternator a few times. Well next day looked under hood and the fan came off the water pump and it was sitting down in the cowling. Of course it rubbed some of the cooling tubes in the radiator, and it started to leak. Well the radiator is not factory and very clean inside, after doing research it looks like it could be soldered. Is this a good idea or is it better to replace, I have soldering experience but not on radiators, and FYI I am thinking of selling this truck for a dump run truck etc more of a beater.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always have gotten away with using JBweld on many radiators busted up like that.
never had a leak after the repair, always applied epoxy on clean prepared surfaces for consistent results.

Javier

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have asked this question better to use heavy duty electric iron or a propane torch?

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks going out to clean it will need to get solder tomorrow no transportation to the store.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many tubes are wrecked/leaking? If it's not more than 5-6, unsolder the top and bottom tanks and block/solder those tubes shut. That's what a rad shop would do. Might cost about the same as a new rad done at a shop. A rad shop will clean it in a caustic solution for a day or two. Probably a lot of fins are crunched and they would have to be straightened.
Put 2 drops of BLUE Loctite on the fan threads when re-installing.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is two tubes that are damaged like the fan was rubbing them for some time not really too bad. loctite is a good idea i have a feeling the po didnt have the tools to take off and install the fan correctly also looks like he banged it off and on with a steel rod and a hammer there is indents in the nut.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed mine with silver solder, wire wheeled and used some stuff to clean the tubes down to base metal. fluxed it got some inside, and got solder inside and worked my way out. been 2k miles and looks like the day i fixed it;Sweet

I used a torch and an iron, once the metal is up to temp the iron can do finesse while the torch does the brunt of the heating

If you know how to solder its no problem, if you dont...

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgot to post reply soldered it had to use propane torch though iron not hot enough. I went ahead and put some jbweld on top of my solder work just in case. If the radiator wasnt a replacement I would have bought a new one but it was in great shape except for the small physical damage from the fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online