So what did you do with your truck today?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this junk now?
If it's just the dent, and it didn't bend it you should be good. I would grab a good long straight edge and checked it out on the opposite side.

If it's still straight, worst-case may be slightly out of balance. I have definitely run some that looked worse than that.

James

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a revolutionary development! It's like having a screen door on your truck! I recommend making it spring loaded on a hinge so your kids can let it pop closed. But seriously, great idea.
The “thwack” of my grandmas wooden screen door will forever be in my memory bank. Love that sound.

And the stretch of the spring when you open it.

I actually wanna add one to our house!! Could use the western breeze anyway.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one impressive discount! I got $.03 per gallon off today. It's not much, but at this point, it's still worth stopping there and getting a discount.
If you spend $1000/mo on groceries. (Pretty easy for me) and have a Kroger cc, I get $1.25 off per gallon up to 35 gallons.

And that’s not buying any meat. I buy my beef, pork from trusted sources in SD.

Man CO is just so frawking expensive

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how that can possiblly happen at 200 horse
I know that my N/A 7.3 has impressed me with its ability to hold speed. I think it’s posted numbers are underrated or I’m just use to really under powered junk LOL

Albeit the idi is slow to accelerate, but I think a small block in my van would be a shift happy little engine vs the van just buckles down and pulls me up the grades or roll in’ hills.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The “thwack” of my grandmas wooden screen door will forever be in my memory bank. Love that sound.

And the stretch of the spring when you open it.

I actually wanna add one to our house!! Could use the western breeze anyway.

Why is B-U-G-G-E-R a bad word?
I have a screen door like that, my kids are pretty good about not letting it pop.
And I can't believe you use such language! C-R-A-C-K-E-R is a no go as well....... so it's hard to refer to myself as a poor white ******* with a popping screen door and a truck that runs on whatever I pour in it.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to test out my new air filter so I grabbed third and floored it and blew up the u joint, win some and loose some
Too bad it busted on the transmission side. If you ever lose one off the rear axle or right before the slip joint you can just pull that shaft off, put her into 4x4 and work on it at home without the tow bill. Or having to work on it on the side of the road.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So not today, really Sunday, I put my bored .040 6.9 block back on the engine stand. Needed the stand for my tractor motor so just set it on the floor of my shop. Not out of the way either. Just right in the middle of everything.

So in an effort to get the shop more functional I did that.

Back story. I was well into building this motor when my divorce happened in 2012.
Crank been turned, heads decked, new valve guides and ported (by me).
.040 pistons milled .050 off the top. Works out to about 16.5 CR. (Yes I know, hard to start)
ARP studs. All gaskets and oil cooler kit.
Moose pump #4. (It's on the 7.3 currently)
Well this block has been sitting unprotected, 100% indoors for 11 years now.

The cylinders are pretty corroded because we get lots of humidity and hot/cold cycles. If your building is not climate controlled here, everything sweats.

So I tried honing one of them. It's working, slowly, but I have no idea how much it's going to grow before it's completed. May be too much to use it.

I may be looking for an unmolested 6.9 block in the near future.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally took time to take off my front bumper and tried to straighten it...

...in the middle of the tryin'...I picked up a couple of phone books and looked for a wrecking yard...nixed that idea and forged ahead with twisting the thing until it was respectably redneck straight...bolted back on and...well...at least it is bolted on for the time bein'...

Better than what it was....gotta tell that story sometime... about how it got tore off....just not in the mood right now...

Gave the 'teeny' welder a workout today (lincoln 100 with flux core)...

...had to weld nuts on the bumper bolts to get them unscrewed...and then repaired a loop bolt that had broken...one of the ones that hold up the drop-down tail with a chain and hook...(older Reading work body)...I used a short length of 1/2" bolt and welded it to the loop and then drilled the body larger to fit it through and put a nut on the inside...

...then made some hooks to suspend a three-light bar under the 10K trailer in the center...back a 'ways so as to not drag it off in case I hit some uneven ground...I used some washers that came from concrete forms...I knew that they were gonna come in handy...

It felt good to get out the welding and other metal working gear and work outside on a nice day...

Thought about using the skid steer to hold the bumper down while I twisted it...but I did not feel like uncovering it and firing it up for this little job...I muddled on through...gotta say...that was some tough metal...more so than what I figured...

I guess that I am more used to the cheap metal more modern stuff is made outa...

My goal was to fix this stuff without having to stop and go somewhere and buy something...I don't have my usual collection of spare parts, bolts, nuts, scrap metal, and misc...but I managed...

I worked until it got dark...then quit for the day...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the seals for my front calipers on the 83. After cleanup and reseal they are no longer dragging. Also replaced the front brake line between the master and proportioning valve while removing the non operational "Mico" brake lock.

I still don't like the pedal feel, seems like it goes almost to the floor before they seem to do much. Hopefully that will get better with some more rear adjustment. I adjusted them until I could hear slight contact. When I pulled the drums to put new parking brake cables on, it looked like the shoes haven't touched the drums for years.

I sanded as much of the rust off as I could get without spending hours on it, and as could only be expected my lathe isn't big enough for those. After I run them for a bit to shine everything up I will adjust them up some more.

If that doesn't bring the pedal up. Does anyone have any other thoughts on what could be going on? I have my suspicions that the purportioning valve may be doing something weird.

When pressure is first applied to the pedal it feels good. Rite about the point that pressure starts building something pops like it blew a seal, pedal drops about 1.5" then builds pressure again and will stop.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a flash inspiration...watch out...could be dangerous..

How about adjusting the rear brakes to the point of locking up solid the wheels and then pushing down the pedal...to see if it makes any difference with the 'pop' and sinking pedal...

It might give you a direction to concentrate on...front, rear, or master cylinder...

Maybe that was not such a harebrained idea after all...??

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable to me. It will have to wait at the moment though. Getting ready to start baling hay, I'm already a couple weeks behind on it because that truck has the fuel tank in it and I couldn't go more than a half mile without smelling the brakes.

James