So what did you do with your truck today?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I'm glad that you're happy with the results after all of the set backs and four letter words.
Lol, I appreciate that.
As I was going through all those setbacks, I was really hoping I wasn't making a mistake pulling out a smooth shifting 4 speed and replacing it with a zf5 I knew nothing about and only shifted around in a field. Now that it's done, it was definitely worth it. (not my dad's broken hand, but you know what I'm saying,lol). I really like the gear spreads in the zf5 as well.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Personally, I have always preferred the way that the ZF5 shifts over any of the 4 speeds that I've driven. I have now pulled two 4 speeds out and replaced them with a ZF5 (in my own trucks). I don't regret it one bit.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Personally, I have always preferred the way that the ZF5 shifts over any of the 4 speeds that I've driven. I have now pulled two 4 speeds out and replaced them with a ZF5 (in my own trucks). I don't regret it one bit.
I agree. The Zf5 shifts a lot nicer than the 4 speed

Rock

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how you came to this clutch kit versus say something from South Bend? I'm interested to see how it holds as well, just wondering if you know who the manufacturer of the Summit clutch kits is. I see it has a one year warranty: at least if you smoke it on the dyno they should give you another one :)
Exactly. Very little information on this clutch. It is supposed to exceed the clamping power of a factory clutch. We will see on the dyno. Im going with it on this version of the build because I’m using all parts I already have in my garage for junkyard engine build dos while I organize and prepare for a future engine that will be a turbo block and rods / the works. When this clutch gets smoked a south bend is going in.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a great deal on an "open box" Viair onboard air compressor, almost 50% off for the "100% duty cycle" rated version. Was going to mount it under the truck.. but Viair's documentation says it is "weather resistant, not water/submersion proof" (even if you relocate the intake above water level). Living on the TX gulf coast there has been more than one time I've waided through water up to the frame rails after a Hurricane/Tropical Storm. So I decided to mount it in front of the passenger wheel well in the bed, it's skinny enough it doesn't intrude into the middle, I can still carry full sheets of plywood flat in the bed.

Broke out the 3D printer and made mounts out of ABS plastic to attach the compressor to the top of the tank and to mount a couple two post bus bars. Its now a nice compact unit. Viair also offers a fan to help keep it cool under heavy use... for $80 they send you a plate with a tinsy fan in it, no ducting, just blows toward the motor. So I 3D printed a fan shroud and bought a high pressure, high volume fan and built a much better one for less than $20. (that's the black thing in the middle of the motor covering the armature area). For grins I also mounted a junk fan on the cylinder head... I can't leave stuff alone, I have to "improve" it :Thumbs Up

Not in the picture... I also made a cover for the positive bus bar terminals to prevent accidental short circuits.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air compressor install was a couple weeks ago...

Currently on a much needed vacation with the travel trailer, we followed the Natchez Trace Parkway from Rocky Springs, LA to the Ackerman, MS area. Awesome relaxing drive, all smooth two lane scenic byway, and all 50 MPH speed limit, so don't be in a rush! A beautiful drive it would a shame to speed through it anyways.

Next we are heading to the Huntsville, AL area/Monte Sano St Park to visit my oldest daughter. Afterwards work calls so we'll start heading home to Houston, crossing through central AL, southern MS, and LA.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a great deal on an "open box" Viair onboard air compressor, almost 50% off for the "100% duty cycle" rated version. Was going to mount it under the truck.. but Viair's documentation says it is "weather resistant, not water/submersion proof" (even if you relocate the intake above water level). Living on the TX gulf coast there has been more than one time I've waided through water up to the frame rails after a Hurricane/Tropical Storm. So I decided to mount it in front of the passenger wheel well in the bed, it's skinny enough it doesn't intrude into the middle, I can still carry full sheets of plywood flat in the bed.

Broke out the 3D printer and made mounts out of ABS plastic to attach the compressor to the top of the tank and to mount a couple two post bus bars. Its now a nice compact unit. Viair also offers a fan to help keep it cool under heavy use... for $80 they send you a plate with a tinsy fan in it, no ducting, just blows toward the motor. So I 3D printed a fan shroud and bought a high pressure, high volume fan and built a much better one for less than $20. (that's the black thing in the middle of the motor covering the armature area). For grins I also mounted a junk fan on the cylinder head... I can't leave stuff alone, I have to "improve" it :Thumbs Up

Not in the picture... I also made a cover for the positive bus bar terminals to prevent accidental short circuits.

Nice work!! Got a PN for that unit? I'd love to see an installed picture too if you get a minute. Great scenery too!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Man that wading through waist deep water almost sounds unbelievable. I do know that Houston is practically at sea level and I remember how flat is is around there. I've also seen my share of deep water here in north west Kansas after storms. The first two pictures of this bridge are after the storm where I wrecked my first 85 F250. I wrecked the night before so the water had gone down quite a bit before I got there. The picture with the three wheeler is how it normally looks for a comparison. In 2016, I saw the water over the top of this bridge, but I didn't take any pictures. That was around 8:00 the next morning. There was a pretty big log sitting on top of the guardrail like someone had placed it there so the water had been much higher during the night. It was only just barely over the road part of the bridge when I was there.

Attachments

• 100_0942.jpg
    100_0942.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_0943.jpg
    100_0943.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    497.9 KB · Views: 6

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I helped my grandad take out some old fence that we will be re doing. Then after that I took a lovely 4 hour drive. I enjoy this thing quite a lot.

Attachments

• 26BD003F-C624-46F1-B584-BE59F9BAA163.jpeg
    26BD003F-C624-46F1-B584-BE59F9BAA163.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 14

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It certainly looks like you live in what I would consider to be a "normal" part of California. More open country and no big city craziness.