So what did you do with your truck today?

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I replaced the steering stabilizer with a new "rough country" brand. I had grandiose plans to start on the ac since I presumably have all the parts needed to get that up and running, but the daughter had electrical issues with her house so that changed plans. I've never done vehicular ac work before so this will be interesting. I'm a bit apprehensive but I figure to take it slow and see how things go.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
A bit overkill for hauling bycicles around, but went to the in laws to go biking around some old logging trails.
With all the work ive done, it really LOVES the freeway. I can pass people with ease at 70 now.

You must be registered for see images attach

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit overkill for hauling bycicles around, but went to the in laws to go biking around some old logging trails.
With all the work ive done, it really LOVES the freeway. I can pass people with ease at 70 now.

Yea, they do like boost. I like those mirrors, been needing to go hunting in the junk yard to find a set on a square body along with hinges for the hood.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
They were on my truck back when the doors were on the standard cab 2 wheel drive. They definitely help keep the mirros steady, but they've definitely bent up the doors a little. Doesnt bother me none.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I dropped my service truck off to get the air conditioning fixed, looking forward to that.

I also called up Hypermax and ordered a complete turbo back exhaust for my 86, designed for my turbo kit. Ran about a thousand. Seems high, but that includes a new downpipe and hangers, and shipping.

Will be interesting to see how that affects my EGTs…

Intercooler coming soon.

I am currently running a Junior Moose pump with my Hypermax Pulse turbo and 2100 psi injectors, only get a tiny puff of smoke from full throttle off the line, then clears up great. If I am slow to shift there might be an even smaller puff at the start of each gear.

Just wondering if anyone thinks that it’d be necessary to increase fueling with the intercooler, since the air will be more dense, one would think you might want more fuel… I like the current rate of fueling, so with more air, that’s something that I might consider adjusting.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone thinks that it’d be necessary to increase fueling with the intercooler, since the air will be more dense, one would think you might want more fuel… I like the current rate of fueling, so with more air, that’s something that I might consider adjusting.
I think that the best answer here is that it's going to depend on you. You need to watch the gauges and exhaust and then make the decision.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your goal? If you aim to make smoke, more fuel for sure. If you want cool EGTs instead of cool smoke, no more fuel.
No smoke. Very light smoke before boost hits is fine with me, but I don’t want to dump coal all over hell.

Lower EGTs sounds nice, but as of right now my EGTs are reasonably manageable, so I was wondering if a very light bump in fuel (half to one flat) would complement the colder air to add power without much smoke or EGT problems

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So my new down pipe and wastegate delete flange came in. Spent about 2 hours pulling the old down pipe and wastegate housing off, then trying to sneak in the new down pipe. Fun fact, if you leave the turbo adapter off, you have just enough room for it to drop in from the top, then you bolt the turbo flange on, then pull the pipe back up to it.

Still need to saw off the triangle bit off the zf, then the pipe will be snug as a bug. Looks good in there with my Idioit up pipe. No leaks... :peelout

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting this truck back together, ft. trans seal went out, found flex plate was trashed may have contributed to demise. New R&D HD turbo flex-plate kit will solve that problem. Trans rebuilt again, #3, twice by PO.
Looking for a check list of things to check before trans goes back in, mainly electric, checks like tack sensor, speed sensor ect. Maybe you trans experts should publish something. Trans got rebuilt with tugger kit and better ft seal and a solenoid pack other than that, builder didn't do some of the upgrades I asked for, going to pull pan off and see if I can tell if shift kit went in, anything there I can spot with pan off?

Attachments

• IMG_5491.JPG
    IMG_5491.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5412.JPG
    IMG_5412.JPG
    759.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5493.JPG
    IMG_5493.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 6

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a better pic of turbo flex plate with counterweight, must have been that extra Moose pump HP that did it in ;) !

Attachments

• IMG_5489.JPG
    IMG_5489.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 8

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a better pic of turbo flex plate with counterweight, must have been that extra Moose pump HP that did it in ;) !
My truck with a Moose pump likes to munch on clutches… so I could believe that…

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got most of my diamond exhaust mocked up and all the old exhaust out, looks like I need about 22" of extension and stepper from 4" to 3" outer diameter. Almost there...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got my exhaust all together.

Definitely a lot more room in there now. Wish the flange wasn't so sharp, but it's not like my hand will be in there regularly.

Also, I shouldn't be allowed to weld.
My tig welder ran out of gas, so looks like poo but it's holding... For now. I hate welding upside down.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my exhaust all together
Funny, this evening I was working on my 86, putting a turbo back exhaust from Hypermax on it. It finally has a muffler now! I got a new downpipe, but it was made incorrectly, so I just used the old one. I will call Hypermax in the morning, I have no doubt that they will sort it out.

That took a pretty long time to mess with, the downpipe is the worst part of the Hypermax kit, in order to remove or install it you have to pull the passenger side uppipe, vacuum manifold, and the rearward most injector on the passenger side. But then it goes in and out without much difficulty…

The nice thing about the Hypermax kit is that it doesn’t really make the engine itself any harder to work on, changing glow plugs is just as easy as on a naturally aspirated engine. And really the kit itself is not hard to work on, except for the downpipe… the whole kit is more or less mounted behind the engine…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tj@GotExhaust

Members online