So What Did You Do With Your PSD Today?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in Ontario we are not allowed to haul 5th wheel trailer w/o dual wheels anymore (RVs exempt). thats a big honkin 5th wheel trailer on 35s . looks pretty scary to me, would be interesting if you ever had to make an emergency manuvre at road speed. if you ever blew a drive tire you would be off the road so fast ......................

like the old C series on the back, did it have an engine in it?

It actually handles great. I’m not advocating at all for big tires as though as soon as these are wore out it’s getting regular tires put on. These just happened to be on there when I bought the truck and they were new. As for the C series yep it was complete. Had the big block ford still in it. Kind of cool seeing the air compressor and brake setup on a Bbf like that

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Put some bigger wheels on the project truck. It's been running really well on my WMO cocktail, but with the 4.10 gears and 245/75R16 tires on it, I'm wanting to shift into a higher gear when I'm already in 5th. :p

My little brother's Dodge truck isn't going anywhere soon (he drained a gallon of coolant out of the oil pan), so in the name of science, the 35x12.5R17s are going on the Ford. In theory, this should bring down the RPMs @ 70 mph (113 kph) from 2340 to 2122.

Before pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

After pics:

As you can see, I had to remove the front bumper. The tires were rubbing the plastic air dam. I have another bumper without the air dam at home I will use.

I don't know how those Dodge people can live like that. ;)

One of the most time consuming things was removing the center caps from the Dodge rims. Two just slid out. The other two fought all the way out.

The truck used 5/8 of a tank of fuel getting to the farm. We'll see if the bigger wheels make much of a difference in fuel economy. The truck seems to ride better which surprised me because the wheels are much heavier than the old ones.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Cleaned up the rims a bit.

Put another bumper on from an OBS IDI. It's spaced forward by the thickness of a bumper attachment nut. It just clears.

The turning radius is even worse than the stock D50 with the chicken wing set up. The tires rub the leaf springs. :p

Well, I'll guess we'll see how it works on the trip home...

Edit/update: My concerns about the tire rubbing the bumper were probably overblown. The tire rubbed a couple of times. The tire had to be in just the wrong position to rub. As for fuel economy, it used just under a 1/4 tank less fuel for 365 km! Note: the speedo was out about 10%. So was the odo, but I know what the distance is, having done this trip many times. The engine was happy spinning down the highway @ about 2130 rpm. EGTs were generally under 600*. A good trip. :)

Last edited:

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
filled it with fuel with about 1/4 tank left, went less than 5 km and it started rattling and smoking and had no power. was pulling onto expressway in Kitchener so I limped it onto the shoulder and got off at the next exit and into a parking lot. called the gas station immediately to complain about the fuel! yup bad fuel, I put a full can of conditioner into the tank and limped it the 20 km back to dad's farm. this is my first break down in 7 yrs and it wasn't even my fault. no engine light on but no power and rough run, idles decent and doesn't stall but woudl only go about 50km/h /30mph to the farm. had to park it there and borrow dad's aerostar shorty. jammed it with 1 bike 3kids and a dog and drove it home in a rainstorm. I sold it to him when I got the big diesel.

Mama says today was an adventure:rolleyes:

was actually talking about selling it to a friend of my brothers for a storage vehicle today and wife says I jinxed it:rotflmao

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, it could be bad fuel. But.... I would look at the showerheads.
Sure, "that would mean you run out at a quarter tank." But if pieces of the showerhead are in the lines.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aprox 90 litres to fill at 1/4 tank, thats where I always fill it or pretty close, sometimes I put over 100litres into it, ocassionally I've put 120 litres in but only when I couldn't find diesel at night.
I'll get a fuel filter on Sunday and will be at the farm again on Monday so I'll see whats in the filter housing. If I can make decent lighting I'll take a pic of the fuel bowl.

I really don't want to drop the tank on it but that might be in the works?

it is very consistent on fuel consumption unless I'm in a passing mood on my way to work on 2 lane road.

"showerhead" meaning the plastic piece on the end of the intake hose?

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it could be bad fuel. But.... I would look at the showerheads.
Sure, "that would mean you run out at a quarter tank." But if pieces of the showerhead are in the lines.....

I didn't run out of fuel at all, had no running issues until I filled the tank with new fuel. I try not to run it any lower than 1/4 tank for fuel cooling issues, its never caused me any issues running out of fuel, I've taken it down to 150 km after the low fuel light went on a few years ago way down at the end of the guage. not on purpose but no fuel source then up in northern Ontario.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I sucked out all the fuel from the filter bowl and a lot of rust and a clogged filter came out. but surprise surprise the fuel pump won't run. had a digital test light to use but I think its toast. I'm goign to pull a spare pump off a donor chassis I have same year and it was running when I tossed the body. I can't fidn a owners manual for this thing so I'm not sure what fuses and relays I should be looking at, I'll have to do some digging on line. I sucked soem fuel out of the tank with a suction pump but it wasn't off the bottom of the tank , it looks good and smells like conditioner. I put a can that treats 380 litres into it andf its only about 130litre tank.

I guess I should start a new thread for this.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought it, or put a deposit on it to pick up on Friday. 1996 F250 supercab shortbed 2wd has some burnt wiring and looks like it melted the fuel drain tap a little but didn't do any harm to R side head harness.
360,000 miles but pretty straight and Zero rust I could find. gave him his asking price, hell I drove 2.5hrs to see it. have all parts needed to fix in my back yard , now I just have to explain it to the Mrs> how I needed another powerstroke. :angel:

I'll make this my driver to replace my diesel van. as long as I get a topper on it quick so she can haul the 4H sheep around she will keep calm :fan:

can I get a prayer from you guys she does kill me?:Q

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I forget this is a general PSD thread, not just 7.3 lol
Well the other day, I fixed the door open switch. It was basically stuck open.
But what happened is where the metal "barrel" is stamped on, I guess it opened up and was coming apart. Pushed it back in and squeezed it together, all good now.
Now I don't have to open the passenger door to shut off the radio. Lol

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pulled the burnt engine harness and fuel filter housing, pulled the same off parts truck and installed on red one. took a while to build up fuel pressure but it flashed right up and ran good then. still have to do soem minor work on the R front rocker gasket plug for the glow plug but it started and ran. parts donor worked fine, I'll even use the intake plumbing from it . I actually picked it up on Friday but have been suffering from Bronchitis through a heat wave so today actually went well.
I fixed it right on the trailer but pulled into the shade, parts truck was hidden under the trees. I guess this make me a "shade tree mechanic" :rotflmao hope i don't lose my real mechanics licence I've had since 92 :cheers:

it was pretty heavy load for the 1988 F250 with a 5.8 efi C6 I pulled it home with. I'll be putting a set of factory Alcoas on the 96 and 235/85/16ribs for fuel economy . hopefully it still has a few miles left in it 368,000 miles on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online