Snap On MT160 Lumi Probe w/33300 meter

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a Kent Moore 33300 meter (that I have actually never used) and went to time a 6.9l the other day and realized that the injection line clamp is missing. Can't find it. I do have a Snap On MT160 Lumi probe however. I have never used a lumi probe at all. If I plug it into #1 glow plug hole, what kind of timing would I be looking for with a lumi and do I time at 2000rpm as I would with a clamp on?
I don't know the centane value of my fuel so I guess that will be throwing me off a bit. But it would be nice to have a ball park idea of where my timing is at until I can source out another line clamp.

Thanks

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a stickie for this.
Bosch bought out k m ... I think its possible to get an new clamp from them

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
full

When timing with a lumy probe and using this chart,you will be using ATDC and @ 1400 RPM.
Helpful tip: Texas and California can,and or do/are,required to sell higher cetane rated diesel fuel.Most of the rest of the us simply sells 40 cetane fuel.So using the chart,if you lack a diesel hydrometer this info can be handy.This info based on wiki info about cetane ratings in the us.It may be outdated info.please buy a hydrometer and or research cetane sold in your area for best info.Use this as basic info to inspire web searching only.
If your timing by the more popular and commonly used pulse method,most of us long since moved towards,then it's 8* BTDC +/- 2* regardless of altitude and cetane ratings.Also this is done @ 2,000 RPM.However experimenting with turbo crispness and or fuel economy from 6-10 BTDC using the pulse method can still be worthwhile too.
"Generally" the less timing advance,the quicker the turbo spools.
however the trade off will be increased EGT levels and perhaps lower fuel economy.
The more advance,the more cylinder pressure,which can mean lower engine longevity.Also you may see more exhaust smoke,along with increased diesel 'clatter'.Find your sweet spot.We all use our trucks much differently and in much different locations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online