Snap-On Diesel Timing Meter MT-480

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I have the chance to pick one up - but it has the wrong lumi probes, any idea what the correct probe is for the 6.9 and what it would cost new?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
More than what the meter is worth. I believe the lumy is around $260 . You could buy a whole new Ferret for about $179 and have current technology instead of a 20 year old worn out piece of equipment with a magnet probe that is on borrowed time before the unit is scrap ( if it's not already )

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I have a pulse clamp on style. I just saw this on CL with 4.7 and 6.2 probes for $100.00 and thought it might be worthwhile - thanks for the input.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 probe will work with our engines. I'm using one with mine and it works fine.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The only difference in the probes IIRC is the thread size. The luminosity probes are no longer available from Snap On according to their web site, so you'll have to find one elsewhere. IIRC they were listed at $160 last time I looked and they were listed.

nbtone

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum. They sent me here from the Ford-trucks.com forum. I need to find out what the value of the missing capacitor is in my snap-on MT-480. Here is a picture of the circuit board: http://www.4shared.com/dir/iCcdV1qB/mt_480_circuit_board.html. I notice you own one of them. Would it be too much to ask if you could take a look at the circuit board and see what the value for C2 is?

The 6.2 probe will work with our engines. I'm using one with mine and it works fine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks to be a part of the power supply section. What is the value of C1? I'd try that same value in C2. Are you sure it's missing? Granted it's been cut off, but that could be a circuit revision. There is no + sign, so in all likely hood it is not an electrolyic polarized capacitor, but rather a bipolar ceramic or polystyrene.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel... Can you say that in english now... I have no idea what you said... I'm not an electronically inclined at all. Its amazing to me how some can just look at something with all the nice color bands and be able to say something intellagently about them... I'm really lost when its electrical.....:cry::frustrate

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum. They sent me here from the Ford-trucks.com forum. I need to find out what the value of the missing capacitor is in my snap-on MT-480. Here is a picture of the circuit board: http://www.4shared.com/dir/iCcdV1qB/mt_480_circuit_board.html. I notice you own one of them. Would it be too much to ask if you could take a look at the circuit board and see what the value for C2 is?

There is nothing at C2