'Smokin and Missin' and no power all of a sudden ???

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

a few days ago I drove my truck and it ran fine. I parked in the usual spot. Today it fired right up, it idled fine, but that was the end of the fun. As soon as the RPM went past 1500-2000 it started sputtering and missing and blowing great clouds of bluish greyish black smoke. When I moved it, it had no power and continued the above behavior. Warming it up made no difference. It didn't stall but felt like it might when I tried moving it.

Any suggestions ??

ull7

Ford f250 Greaser
Reaction score
try bypassing the fuel water seperator and see how she runs.take both hoses of and connect both together with a hose connector and clamps.first change the fuel filter

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The source of the problem is the IP. As for the cause, that will remain to be seen. Check the filter and fuel presure as suggested.

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, I just got back from a work trip. I'll probably tinker this weekend.
Any thoughts on it being an injector and checking by cracking open a fuel line at a time ?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, you can do this - the one that don't change the idle quality, or changes it way too much compared to others, that's your suspect!

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's fixed. I changed the fuel filter assy, no improvement. I cracked open the fuel lines while running, no discernible difference.
While I had the hood open, and revved it by hand, I saw something.
My turbo kit has a rubber elbow that makes the bend from the intercooler pipe, to the engine intake. This elbow was collapsing under acceleration cutting off airflow. I rummaged around and found an air intake from a 1990 Dynasty I scrapped recently. The hose was about the right diameter, there was a 90 bend, and I cut it to length. It works. At first I was getting a lot of blue smoke, then it settled down to black on acceleration. I may have to adjust my pump.
Any changes I'll keep you posted. Thanks to all !

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Air flow cutting off that will do it too. Black is gooooood fuel is your freind as long as you have a pyro hooked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online