smoke???

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my idi on its first long trip through SE KY last week. I ran 70 and got 15mpg;Sweet (my powerstroke only got 13mpg@60 on that stretch) I ran empty except the family, but I still topped hills at 2500prm and 45 mph.

These were some pretty big hills, but I noticed that even at those revs there was never any smoke.

Is this good, bad, or indifferent? Could it meen that I am in need of some maintenance???

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In stock trim no smoke is some what normal. To me I worried when my truck would not smoke because these old IDI's are supposed to. Its no big deal if they don't but you are not getting enough fuel and loosing some power. I did notice that after I turned up my fuel pump and started seeing a little smoke that my fuel milage rose. It went from 15MPG on flats ground to 18.5MPG. Just my two pennies and good luck with that chariot.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as far as I know my truck is bone stock.

It is a 350cc 4x4 w/ e40d and 3:73s 158Koriginal miles.

yes the auto was downshifting fine and the truck seemed to run good. (just rebuilt last year) I do not have a pyro on it yet, would one flat up be too much on the pump w/o a pyro?

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
afraid a turbo is out of the question for now, I need new exhaust. maybe 3" duals or 4" side pipes

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My truck doesnt smoke all that much either. It only really does it if I'm accelerating hard with the rpm's over 2900, or if I start to lugg it going up a hill, and then get on it hard. Other than that theres little to no smoke.

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that a flat may also be a little to much. If you like the way it runs then you should leave it the way it is. I just would like to point out that a little more power is to be had thats all.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with stock exhaust and a stock intake and no pyro i think a flat would be to much.

Ditto. I wouldn't TOUCH the fuel screw without a pyro installed. I turned mine up a flat right after installing my pyro and was surprised to see how much more quickly the EGTs would climb into the 1100-1200 range unloaded climbing steep hills with my foot in it.....

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Has the IP been timed? I've run with more weight up very long hard hills with no real issues (In my old diesel van).

That is what i would do first, then see what the mileage is. I'm getting around 15 and i cant keep my foot out of it, i do need to time mine and finish my exhaust..

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes turning up the fuel without a pyrometer is not a good idea. Get your pipe from NAPA for the new exhaust, and a free flowing muffler, 3" pipe is good for a N/A engine. The manifolds are 2" ID, you'll need an adapter to go from 2" to 3" If you want to turn up the pump, you can get a pyrometer for around $100-150 maybe less if you're creative or get a used one, but you want a good one. I agree with everyone here that you should have your truck timed. The spec is 8.5*BTDC at 2000 RPM by the pulse method or 1.5*ATDC at 1400 with the luminosity method. Sounds like a nice ride, good luck with it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm in aggreance with these guys, dont turn up the IP before you do a bigger exhaust upgrade the intake and buy a pyro.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's what I suspected. thanks for the input. . .

How hard is it to time an IP? Is it something I could do in a typical farm shop?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You can do it by ear if you've heard what a properly timed IDI sounds like, but you will still be .5-1 degree off, and thats for someobody who know what there doing. Other than that you can buy the timing meters and play around with them until you get it timed properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online