SMF Clutch kit

Mattbo

Reaction score
Opening a can of worms here, but can anyone suggest what brand or where to buy the SMF conversion kit with a clutch kit? I have a 93' 7.3 with a ZF5 and my DMF is going out so looking to do the conversion. I've looked up the Perfection clutch kit on Rockauto and the price is appealing, but have no knowledge of their track record. I've also heard about the LUK kit and I can get that here locally at Advanced auto.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I have no opinion on the perfection clutch as I've never used them, but I've had really good luck with my luk clutch kits and I tow heavy and often. Also have real good luck with the southbend clutch kit I got from Classic Diesel Designs and really like it and have used southbend in other trucks and they hold up great. Good bit pricey on the southbend though. Alot of people have used the velair clutch and were happy, I was not but that's just my opinion. The velair dusted on me pretty quick, but could have just been a one off instance.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
LUK has always been my go to for stock and mildly tuned engines. Just get a better quality throwout bearing and pilot than what comes with the kit, best bang for your Buck.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Luk 07225 kit in my truck 2 years ago. The clutch that I replaced said perfection on it, so I assume it’s the same one you’re seeing on Rockauto. I did notice an increase in rollover noise with the luk clutch, but maybe the springs in the old clutch were more worn out/softer and absorbed vibration better?

If I were in your shoes I’d get the perfection kit, but also buy timken throwout and pilot bearings instead of the cheap ones in the kit.

Mattbo

Reaction score
Great information guys thank you! I had started looking at them all and got a bit overwhelmed. I'll prob do the rock auto kit and upgrade the throwout and pilot's with Timken. I'm hoping the DMF is my culprit here it's been inconsistently rattling grinding at idle and going into reverse grinds 4/5 times. I'd really hate to drop the ZF5 twice if it's something more.

Last edited:

Mattbo

Reaction score
I installed the Luk 07225 kit in my truck 2 years ago. The clutch that I replaced said perfection on it, so I assume it’s the same one you’re seeing on Rockauto. I did notice an increase in rollover noise with the luk clutch, but maybe the springs in the old clutch were more worn out/softer and absorbed vibration better?

If I were in your shoes I’d get the perfection kit, but also buy timken throwout and pilot bearings instead of the cheap ones in the kit.
Got a question for ya. How do I know the correct pilot and throwout for that kit? Is it just the ones that fit the truck or is it specific to the perfection clutch kit? The timken bearings are on Rock auto too I was just going to buy them all together and one stop shop?

Mattbo

Reaction score
And while I'm dropping it for the SMF conversion anything else I should address besides the rear seal?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought all the SMFs used interchangeable pilot bearings (as long as the flywheels are for the same year/trans, etc.) but hopefully someone else can confirm.

I used the bearings that came with my Luk kit, but since then I’ve seen several people say that the pilot bearing in the kit isn’t great. Mine has held up for 2 years now, but I wish I had spent the extra couple of bucks to put a quality bearing in there when I had the thing apart.

Mattbo

Reaction score
I thought all the SMFs used interchangeable pilot bearings (as long as the flywheels are for the same year/trans, etc.) but hopefully someone else can confirm.

I used the bearings that came with my Luk kit, but since then I’ve seen several people say that the pilot bearing in the kit isn’t great. Mine has held up for 2 years now, but I wish I had spent the extra couple of bucks to put a quality bearing in there when I had the thing apart.
I’m assuming so, but I just wanted to double check before I ordered them.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I think I paid almost $300 for my luk kit back in 2013

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Opening a can of worms here, but can anyone suggest what brand or where to buy the SMF conversion kit with a clutch kit? I have a 93' 7.3 with a ZF5 and my DMF is going out so looking to do the conversion. I've looked up the Perfection clutch kit on Rockauto and the price is appealing, but have no knowledge of their track record. I've also heard about the LUK kit and I can get that here locally at Advanced auto.

I reckon 'Perfection' amounts to a rockauto house brand; reboxed clutch made by somebody else. Compare pictures with other brands.

The Perfection clutch I got for my cummins dodge was a replica of the OE Sachs 13" used on the 89-93 dodges - only devoid of the 'Sachs' raised lettering.

Edit: the flywheel balance differs between the idi and factory Tidi. Get the right one.

Mattbo

Reaction score
I’m deep in a wormhole now trying to determine if I should do the conversion or spend the coin on the replacement DMF…. Any persuasive comments or thoughts would be appreciated. I’ve heard some about sticking with the DMF and others say just do the conversion and call it a day,…… but the growling.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I did SMF on my powerstroke (also ZF5-s42) and never noticed a growl. The DMF was making a racket and didnt want to risk it letting go, possibly shattering the trans.

I'd want that bigger clutch lining. DMF is only 11" on the idi.

Mattbo

Reaction score
I did SMF on my powerstroke (also ZF5-s42) and never noticed a growl. The DMF was making a racket and didnt want to risk it letting go, possibly shattering the trans.

I'd want that bigger clutch lining. DMF is only 11" on the idi.
Same boat mines rattling hard right now and had grinding going into reverse. SMF it is and I’ll use the savings for something else I know I need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7