Sloppy BW T19 shifter

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My shifter has a heck of a lot of play in it, and at times is very sloppy (read:a pain in the ass-cuss ) to shift. I know it is not the transmission itself, as it was recently rebuilt. Is there a shifter rebuild kit (IE:pins, or bushings, or something in the shifter to replace)?
Thanks in advance,
Peter A.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Put trans in neutral and unscrew the cap that holds the lever in. Then you should be able to see if the pin or the hole is worn out. Sometimes the vee/U in the case is also worn. Try using MarineTex epoxy or liquid steel to rebuild the U. This is what happened to the T-18 in my Jeep CJ-5. Good luck, OkieGringo

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Okie. I'll pull the cap and check it out. I'm still hoping there is a kit that has the necessary hardware to rebuild the shifter. I guess it's off to a transmission shop. If all else fails, I suppose I could find a junkyard shifter. Even it would have less play in it than my current unit!!!

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
found this video online and thought i would share it for repairing sloppy 4spd shifters

not mine.. not a guaranteed fix. not a actual diagnosis of problem.

http://youtu.be/HXSdniEENpc

My shifter has a heck of a lot of play in it, and at times is very sloppy (read:a pain in the ass-cuss ) to shift. I know it is not the transmission itself, as it was recently rebuilt. Is there a shifter rebuild kit (IE:pins, or bushings, or something in the shifter to replace)?
Thanks in advance,
Peter A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online