slave cylinder won't bleed

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put my 92, idi back together after rebuilding the tranny, and can not get the clutch to pressure up properly! I have pumped and pumped and tapped on the lines and stood on my head, and even held my tongue in several different positions, and still cannot get the thing to engage the fork entirely! It actually has some resistance but will not release enough to even kick the pedal back to its home! ANY ONE know any secrets or know of a magic word or chicken sacrifices i can perform to get this dang thing to release the air bubble from haites! THANKS GUYS!!:eek:

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Really, I've been fighting these horrible systems since I bought my '85. (Actually farther back then that, but I'll stick with the diesel.)

Last time I did it I finally saw some light. Here's my story:

Chevy_Eater said:
Now, before yesterday's driving the clutch needed to be bled. After the usual pump pump pump, bleed bleed bleed, pump at the slave, bleed, bleed, bleed, with no results as usual I decided to try something new. I recalled awhile back reading at Oilburners Riotwarrior had posted the factory procedure for bleeding this system, a procedure that doesn't even use the bleeder screw. (Also linked in our FAQ)

So I go back to his post for a refresher and then:

[Summary of factory procedure with my notes/suggestions]

1) Remove the slave cylinder.

2) Holding the slave at an angle with the open port where the line goes upwards to allow air to escape fill the slave with brake fluid through this port. (Manual shows it just being poured in, lol, have patience, a bit at a time.) Move the slave around slightly to help air escape. Once there are no more air bubbles coming out the port reinstall the slave, but not the line yet. You will get squirted with fluid a bit as the piston compresses as the slave is pushed into place. **But allow the push rod to push the piston in as needed while installing! If you manually push it all the way in it will suck air back into the slave when the piston travels out to its rested position.**

3) The manual says to remove the MC cap and gravity bleed the MC and line before hooking it back up to the slave cylinder, but I took it a step further and submersed the end of the line in a jar of brake fluid and pumped the air out of the system. I could see the air pushing through.

I hooked the line back up and holy crap Batman, I had clutch on the first push of the pedal!

Remember, when all else fails, read the directions!

Last edited:

Hans13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem. You good at floating gears? As long as you can get it into first gear, you'll be fine. I was hard-up for time and I had to drive down to Pratt, KS for a job and so I just planned on floating all the way down there because I couldn't get it to bleed right. I used to clutch when it would work and by the time I got to Pratt, it had bled itself. You have to be on the ball when you are going to have to stop though. I always float it out of gear when I'm coming up to a stop but without a clutch you don't have a good way of taking it out of gear otherwise if she won't come out easy. Good luck!

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea not too interested in floating gears, after just rebuilding the tranny, but I see your point! Maybe just the rattle from the motor will cause the bubble to submit, from its El Macho grip! Thanks guys, you may have saved a chickens life!

Hans13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would probably be the time to point out that the way I did it is more or less a worst case scenario. I would try everything else first. I'm not sure how it worked, but it did that's all I know. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. :D

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my leaky slave and the master on the same day.I could not get mine to bleed till I replaced the master.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut a stick to hold the clutch pedal down, back of steering wheel works , pump it up, put in stick while holding it down, go to bed. In the morning release the pedal slowly ,check fluid , see if it is better, the air will migrate to the master. Repeat if necessary. It actually should work in about 20 min of sitting. I have never cracked my bleeder screw.

Hans13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is where kids come in handy...
Let my 10 year old brother try and drive my truck because he as well as me thinks that it is the coolest think since sliced bread. (It was on the gravel roads. Everybody calm down;Really) and he could hardly get the clutch to the floor! So make sure you get one of the heavier ones if you want to do this. LOL

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let my 10 year old brother try and drive my truck because he as well as me thinks that it is the coolest think since sliced bread. (It was on the gravel roads. Everybody calm down;Really) and he could hardly get the clutch to the floor! So make sure you get one of the heavier ones if you want to do this. LOL

when my son was 8, i came up on a honda accord for him to learn on. he hasnt hit anything yet! now were turning that same honda into a 4 banger circle track car, now to get him to learn how to hit things correctly :D
hijack over.