slave cyl problems

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have slave cyl problems..... my clutch goes all the way to the floor and the slave cyl only moves about 3/8 " back and forth.
How far should it travel. does anyone have info concerning this kind of problem??
.......I know it can be many things .......I just don't know where to start. Thank-you...........Joe

stiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year truck? which manual tranny? somebody will chime in soon. first they'll probably want to know that info. then they'll ask if you have a firewall reinforcement kit installed.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah ....my truck is a f-350 1988-89 4x4 . My tranny is a zf 5 speed.
I have a metal plate in the inside of the truck where the bolts go thru from the
master cyl...... It is pretty beefy.
Ive tried bleeding the system but it made no differance.
The clutch pedal doesn't seem to do anything till it's about 3/4 of the way to the floor.
Only then is there any slave cyl movement. about 3/8 "

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Have a helper push the clutch pedal down and release it while you watch the master cylinder on the firewall from the engine compartment. If it moves (master cylinder) you have firewall problems. If it doesn't, I would look elsewhere like the clutch fork pivot etc. I have the T19 and my slave cylinder doesn't move much either, but I have a good clutch NOW ( had to replace the pedal bracket up under the hood as well as a firewall repair kit. This is a very weak spot in these trucks and a failure that Ford just seemed to let go, year after year.

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
I had similar problem with my 95 master cylinder went bad fast for no apparent reason. Took 12 mile drive about 5 upshift + downshift to go completely bad absolutely no way to shift had to put a new master on right in the driveway didn't have a single problem afterwards. I bled it by filling master w oil and pumping oil out and quickly connected line- just dumb luck i geuss :confused:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
someone posted some time ago about a master (or was it slave?) cylinder frolm napa that is very easy to bleed.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
someone posted some time ago about a master (or was it slave?) cylinder frolm napa that is very easy to bleed.

I remember reading about someone purchasing both together, ready to install, with line and all. I believe it was from NAPA as well.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double check that the clutch pedal/brake pedal pivot bushings aren't shot. I just installed a brand new pedal assy in my truck, and the Clutch pedal action is MUCH improved...

Ryan

Joe Mc

Reaction score
emmer said:
Oh yeah ....my truck is a f-350 1988-89 4x4 . My tranny is a zf 5 speed.
I have a metal plate in the inside of the truck where the bolts go thru from the
master cyl...... It is pretty beefy.
Ive tried bleeding the system but it made no differance.
The clutch pedal doesn't seem to do anything till it's about 3/4 of the way to the floor.
Only then is there any slave cyl movement. about 3/8 "
The manual for my 86 claims the slave rod should move a minimum of 0.53 inches, 3/8 is 0.375, if the bushings under the dash are in good shape then you need a new slave cylinder. My 86 has an adjustable rod between the clutch pedal and the clutch master cylinder, I don't know if the 88-89 had them, but you might want to check.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
sle2115 said:
I remember reading about someone purchasing both together, ready to install, with line and all. I believe it was from NAPA as well.

Yep but I called napa and they didn't help much with out a part # :rolleyes: . Maybe someone will post it.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know you guys hate Auto Zone but I just finished my zf swap and bought one from Auto Zone that works great and was super easy to bleed. It has an aluminum housing and an actual bleed valve like a brake caliper. Plus it was only 50 bucks and has a life time warranty

Exekiel69

Reaction score
ClassicIDI said:
Well I know you guys hate Auto Zone but I just finished my zf swap and bought one from Auto Zone that works great and was super easy to bleed. It has an aluminum housing and an actual bleed valve like a brake caliper. Plus it was only 50 bucks and has a life time warranty

But the real question is, does it have a part # :rolleyes: ? :D

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes but i threw the package away already. All I did was go in and say I needed a slave cyclinder for a 88 f-250 and they brought me back the one I have now.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
ClassicIDI said:

No problem with AZ personally, other than they are lucky to find their butt with both hands in many cases. I bought a Wagner one, it was the plastic junk with the little allen screw bleeder. I ended up re-using my old one as it was the aluminum one etc. If I have to replace it, I will go to AZ for one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726