slack adjusters: manual vs auto

ndurbin

Reaction score
Just some FYI. You can't have an auto and a manual on the same axle. The slack adjusters on the axle have to be the same or the DOT will count that against you. Now you can have one axle w/ autos and another axle w/ manuals but no mixing'n'matching on one axle.

As far as which ones I like better, I don't really care b/c ya haveta adjust both constantly.

Nathan

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ndurbin said:
Just some FYI. You can't have an auto and a manual on the same axle. The slack adjusters on the axle have to be the same or the DOT will count that against you. Now you can have one axle w/ autos and another axle w/ manuals but no mixing'n'matching on one axle.

As far as which ones I like better, I don't really care b/c ya haveta adjust both constantly.

Nathan

ndurbin,

Welcome to the site!!! ;Sweet

Ggg

Reaction score
Hello Don if we are talking about your Mack, then it did not come from Mack with auto slacks. So you could (legally) install manual slacks. Call or stop into a Mack dealer with your VIN# and they can tell you exactly what your truck was built with. Your Mack is too old to have come from the factory with autos. If I remember right it wasn't till 95-96 that trucks were mandated to have auto slacks. A few years prior to that they were an option but since your truck is 10 years older then the mandatory date you should be OK. Another thing to do is to change out the clevises to manual ones. Yes the auto clevis will work just fine, but if DOT checks you and all your clevises are from auto slacks it could cause you to do some "explaining". And we all know how well the police listen when we try to explain. Now if your truck was newer and had come with auto slacks from the factory then it waould be illegal to revert to manual slacks. That is within the USA, I do not know about Canada, or Mexico.

Last edited:

dondiesel444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info! I recently replaced all 4 adjusters with manuals and couldn't be happier!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance