skateboard wheels/ hockeypuck lift???

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
ive been seeing this around and wanted your guys' opinion. its a 1 inch body lift using hockey pucks... what do you think?

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
body lifts are pretty cheap as a kit. and they come with necessary hardware incuding steering extension. You could buy and drill out hockey pucks but you will still have to buy bolts, a steering extension, and a fill nozzle extension. The hockey puck idea seems silly to me. Course in texas id have to look long and hard for a hockey puck. And really what good is one inch. I don't care for body lifts but sometimes its the cheapest way to get some tire room. I have put on three body lifts a 1984 Bronco, 1998 Ck3500, and 1985 Ramcharger. The Bronco kit was by far the cheapest. All of them were three inch.

noahz

92 F250 idi
Reaction score
How much do you think i could put a 3" lift on a 92 F-250 i havent been able to find a kit anywhere?

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
body lift 3" http://www.louisville4x4.com/fsusf15080.htm
3" 92-96 Performance Accessories (body lift)
ft bumper brackets, 6 cyl. need lower radiator hose.

823 body lift $139.99
6723 (optional) gap guards (step side 6725) $50.00 labor $79.99
6721 (optional) rear bumper gap guard $25.00 labor $29.99

i made gap guards out of that black plastic lawn stuff. you know that goes around the edge of your grass. rear i cut a piece of aluminum diamond plate i had layin around. that was a quick search I know 4wheelparts will have one and ship it to you. is your truck
2wd or 4wd?

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
As far as i know a store bought body lift meets all law requirement. at least in texas it does. its pretty easy all you need is hand tools, a floor jack, and a flat surface. Luckily for you in 1992 they changed the frame horns behind the front bumper. You can raise and use your factory bumper. I had to drive my 84 bronco without a bumper till i got the custom bumper made.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Really anything over the one inch you are into firewall surgery with the diesel. All the 2" kits say right on them, " not for diesel engine" , they don't sell 1" kits, which is why we have resorted to the hockey pucks. Not so dumb now , eh?

You can buy pucks by the half dozen and the dozen from hockey supply places online dirt cheap and they are high quality hard rubber. I used some nice big fender washers from Ace hardware that matched the puck size to distribute load wear on the things, and they are wearing nicely
That 1 inch gets you extra room for turbo and tire clearance and just enough to get my big fat gullet under the running boards without having to run the thing up on ramps :rotflmao
Only modification I needed to do with mine was to cut out the bottom of the fan shroud a bit for clearance

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 2" commercial kit is by far the best way to go if a 2" body lift is what you want. As was stated though, if you want a 1" kit, you have to resort to your own devices, and I think we have proven that the Hockey Puck is a good way to go. No steering mods are needed in either case. On 92 and up trucks, a 2" kit will include a modification to the steering shaft however.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll need to massage the firewall with a 2" lift. Definitely do with a 3, which is what I have. Word to the wise, if you're doing this and can afford it, you might want to get new rubber bushings, which will be re used when you put the lift in. I wish I had while I was at it because now my body lines between cab and bed are off by about 3/8." The cab mounts are sagging that much and the bed mounts directly to the frame and can't sag.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely do need to massage the firewall with a 2" lift, I can attest to that.
A one puck lift is an OK thing to do, but, they will still eventually crack, I'd personally shy away from using them if at all possible.