Size of inlets on Hypermax and ATS IDI intercoolers

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question is pretty self explanatory/ looking at an intercooler on ebay, not specifically designed for this application. It has 3" inlets and I'm wondering how hard it would be to make it work. I'm asking about the hypermax and ATS since I know they do work for our trucks and are designed for them and some of you guys have installed them. thanks in advance.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question is pretty self explanatory/ looking at an intercooler on ebay, not specifically designed for this application. It has 3" inlets and I'm wondering how hard it would be to make it work. I'm asking about the hypermax and ATS since I know they do work for our trucks and are designed for them and some of you guys have installed them. thanks in advance.
mime is 2.5"
ATS kit. currently out of stock. resupply status unknown-cuss

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be hard to adapt a cooler with 3" fittings to an ATS non gated turbo do you think? Thanks!
they've got silicone coupler boots that help adapt the sizes, so it shouldn't be an issue. For me, it would be a toss up if I was to use larger piping or not. I don't like turbo lag, so the same piping diameter as the turbo outlet was used. My thoughts were that if I can keep up the pressure and velocity in the piping, the drop of pressure and velocity in the IC will be minimized. I don't have much felt lag but I sure to get the "surge" when I let off the throttle too quick

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok. Well I don't know if this cooler will go for more than I want to pay or if its even good for this application, but its out of a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. having ridden in one I know they make some serious power and those turbos boost way more than an IDI could handle and up to about 7000 rpm...then again its only a 4 banger.....don't know...what does everyone think?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah ok. Well I don't know if this cooler will go for more than I want to pay or if its even good for this application, but its out of a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. having ridden in one I know they make some serious power and those turbos boost way more than an IDI could handle and up to about 7000 rpm...then again its only a 4 banger.....don't know...what does everyone think?
Those things are scarry fast for a fartbox. I think the core dimensions are pretty close to my ATS unit. There's not much in the way of choices for the bar and plate type IC

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That they are. Like I said my friend had one...the fastest he ever had it when I was with him was about 120mph but that was in a 45 zone....I never would have done such a thing and I'd never want to ride that fast on the street again.. he said it would go as fast as 160mph, never saw that, never wanted to. Just no room to make a mistake.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just reading one of Rich's (94f450sd) posts on when he grafted a '99&up IC tube assy on his OBS and had a 6psi drop from the conversion. Keep in mind chokers run at a higher max psi than our truck do.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I expect to see not much boost outta that ATS especially with the intercooler hooked up until I really hammer it, then I'm going to get plenty and be more worried about EGTs.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been watching ebay for coolers too. Seems like we need something in teh 900 to 1000 CFM range, and I don't think those ricer ones will flow enough.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would happen if you got an IC with less than enough max airflow? Would it be better or worse than nothing? Wouild it destroy the turbo or engine? Thanks,
J.D.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good question. My guess would be that at higher RPM's you would get black smoke and the opposite effect from what is needed, as if your air cleaner were clogged.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I found a '99 PS IC (i think it fits "99 thru '02 or '03 or something) last year on Fleabay for about $100-125 frt & all IIRC.
I think that one figured about 1000cu inches.
Actually, it fit in front of rad & AC condenser really great for me. I did some spacing out on some stuff.....out about 1" on IC, tube grill, lower valance (or whatever it's called...the tin work under headlights & across front), & got about 2" or less space between IC & AC condenser. I didn't have to modify the hood latch either like I thought, or drop or move anything doing with the swaybars.
I got it all mounted, all the mods. done, & then got too busy to finish running the tubing & hook up, etc.
But it sure looks good sitting behind the grill!!:D
It would look better if my wife hadn't moved that 16" Juniper tree out into the middle of the driveway! :dunno
Sometimes your bumper & grillguard can get bent BigTime if you crank it to warm up, run back into the house, but forgot to set the E-brake on a sloping driveway........

(on the brighter side: folks get out of your way quick when they look in rearview mirror & see you come flying up behind);Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PSD Intercoolers are a great match. Unfortunately for me, both in and out face the rad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online