Single 38 gal tank wiring

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all

So I have done research and have schematics. Yet don't have my answers. I SUCK at wiring.i don't know what to do. I want to know. Can I delete the following.
Fsv
Wiring to front tank
Need for toggle switch

While retaining the rear tank and instrument panel function for fuel level.

I would like to repurpose the toggle switch for Aux lights in the future. Maybe a pipe dream. That said the above should be achievable I assume? I currently have the fsv removed and harness out.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Look up the wiring schematic for the FSV plug. All you need to do is tie the rear tank sender into the wires to the gauge at the plug for the FSV. After that you can remove the front tank wiring and switch wires if you wish.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look here

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have to admit that I cheated (didn't know better) when I did the 6.9 swap into my Bronco. I used the entire pickup wiring harness. The wiring (plus engine and transmission) came from my first 85 F250 and was on the rear tank when I wrecked it. I just left the FSV plugged into the wiring and it the gauge read just like it would have in the F250. The FSV was still under there when I got rid of it.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looking at this from the FSV harness, you have...
#1 and #2 are running to the switch, #3 is from the front tank sender, #4 is from the fuel gauge, and #5 is from the rear tank sender.

I'm just guessing, but I believe working from the FSV harness you would tie Pin #1 wire to pin #3 wire, #2 wire to #5 and then splice #4 to both.

I got this from another post. However I assume that by using this method have to retain the fsv connector? The front tank wire i want to go away (get rid of anything not neccessary). Hence why would I tie it in per the direction above?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this from another post. However I assume that by using this method have to retain the fsv connector? The front tank wire i want to go away (get rid of anything not neccessary). Hence why would I tie it in per the direction above?

You need to tie it in somewhere. Tying in at the FSV plug is the best method. Identify the wires you need, then clip them just behind the plug and tie them together. After that you can begin removing the rest of the wires and the plug from the harness.

Those directions do NOT seem correct for what you want. You're going to want to double check which is which, but if those numbers are correct, you want to tie #4 and #5 together and junk the rest.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hence why would I tie it in per the direction above?

I just read that thread a little bit. His intentions were to keep both tanks. He was trying to figure out how to switch between both sending units while using manual valves instead of the FSV. That's not what you want, and that's why it didn't make sense.

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the 38 gal tank the spectra tank has an oily residue all over it including the interior is this normal. That has to be removed I assume?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it on the inside honestly. It's just a rust inhibitor. I'd clean the outside off and paint it good though.