Simple way to clean fuel tank?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just dropped my rear fuel tank to replace the showerhead and noticed the interior is a bit grungy and sticky. The showerhead was stuck fast to the floor of the tank and I'm concerned that the new shower head will also stick and break off soon. If I can't clean up the tank a bit I guess I'll opt for some fuel line instead of the showerhead. I don't have a pressure washer but I do have an assortment of solvents like acetone, gasoline, mineral spirits, and plenty of various brushes, scrapers, chain, etc.. I thought about just getting a new tank but right now I'd rather use the money for other things. Any suggestions appreciated.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, with the lid removed, the tank is just metal I believe(no rubber or other seals to get messed up)... so go at it!

Make sure to wear /good/ chemical resistant gloves, and set up a fan across your work area for ventilation. Safety goggles also important.

I'd probably start with Acetone or MEK, simply because they are what I'm familiar with and do a good job.
I personally can't stand the smell of gasoline(yet another reason I drive a diesel)

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped both tanks on my truck and cleaned them years ago. The tanks were in great shape, but the insides were coated with "slime". One person told me that this slime was the residue (glycerine) from poorly made bio diesel. Anyway, I used the "Purple Power" cleaner that you can get at Wally World, and that stuff worked really well. I got in the tanks to scrub with a long handled toilet brush and got what I could. I sloshed the cleaner around a lot too and the tanks cleaned up really well. I set my tanks out in the hot sun after cleaning and "baked" them dry. I suppose you could also use a heat gun and circulate hot air in them for a while. I would suggest NOT installing a stock showerhead, as those things disintegrate into little bits of black plastic over time. The bits then get into your tank selector valve and plug it. (Don't ask me how I know that!)