Sick 7.3 IDI please help!!

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 f-350 7.3 IDI that is in need of some help. I am currently having a great shuddering just as the auto shifts into OD. A good tranny guy read the codes and said its not the tranny but the engine. Seems to have a "miss". I know it's not really a miss but a cylinder not playing nice with the others. I am down to thinking bad injector or cylinder cavitation.
Now I also have heavy white smoke, that stings the eyes, that rolls when I start her up. It seems to subside when the cold idle kicks off. I do think I can still see some on heavy throttle. I have it going in for a compression test tomorrow and an praying for the best. What do y'all think it could be? One of these things I've mentioned, or something else entirely. Thanks.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
welcome to the forum. how many miles on the injection pump and injectors? if they are over 100k miles or of unknown age then it would be recommended to replace them.

your shuddering sounds like torque converter shudder. that means the torque converter is going. it should be addressed ASAP or it could take out the rest of your trans. it would be worth it check all the drive line components for looseness though to.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the injectors aren't but a few years old. But they are junker rebuilds from napa. My tranny guy was pretty sure it wasn't torque converter. I'll know more after the comp test but I'm just prayin it is a bad injector!!

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It makes sense to be injector cuz the overdrive gear is the highest load on engine I'm told so the loss of power in one cylinder would cause a shake or shudder. It also shake a good deal at idle but smooths right up when I start drivin

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welocme to the forum. From the smell of the exhaust it sounds like a slobbering injector allowing too much fuel into a cylinder. If it was coolant the exhaust would smell sweet. But your burns the eyes so that an indiaction its fuel related. Good luck tomorrow. If you end up replacing the injectors use a new set of Delhpi Bb codes and don't let anyone tell you that only the G codes will work in a turbo engine... Thats just not the truth. BB codes are much better and they fuel way better than the G codes.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Icanfixall. I'm hopin injectors!! But I also think that because I used my infrared thermo on the exhaust manifold and didn't find a great temp differential. So no "dead" cylinder as a cavitated cylinder would be.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me and I initially thought it was my torque converter as well. It turned out to be a couple of injectors giving me grief. Now that I have the new delphi's in, no more shudder or engine problems. I would check out the injectors before breaking into the transmission.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks hydro-IDI. If Incan just get this prob fixedly truck will be perfect! Ready to start plowing this winter. Thanks for info and keep it comin if you have a suggestion.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your on a budget, get the injectors pop tested and replace the ones that are no good. If you are kind of on a budget, ebay has a few sellers that sell brand new delphi's. I have had very bad experience with Mylex re-manufactured injectors so I do not recommend putting any remans in. If not on a budget, I would recommend injectors from typ4 or agnem. They are just a little more in price but not much more. With all of the trouble I have had with injectors in the past, I regret not saving up for typ4 or agnems injectors they supply to us.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
If you find a place to pop test them let me know and I can send some spares to see if they are good and will trade you. I'm south of indy and go to Crawfordville often

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the information about the injecters being not so old nappa rebuilts.. Thats an even better reason to think the injecters are at fault for your issues. Very few places can or will do a quality rebuild on injecters. Its way too much work to install rebuilts only to end up with a new set later on...

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the torque converter wont make white exhaust smoke that stings your eyes. I would start with injectors.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welocme to the forum. From the smell of the exhaust it sounds like a slobbering injector allowing too much fuel into a cylinder. If it was coolant the exhaust would smell sweet. But your burns the eyes so that an indiaction its fuel related. Good luck tomorrow. If you end up replacing the injectors use a new set of Delhpi Bb codes and don't let anyone tell you that only the G codes will work in a turbo engine... Thats just not the truth. BB codes are much better and they fuel way better than the G codes.

icanfixall, I am confused. found these on ebay, but the description says they will not work on factory turbo. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-6-9-7-3-Ford-Diesel-Fuel-Injector-Non-Powerstroke-BB-CODE-/140852744996?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cb7a5324&vxp=mtr

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where and how can i get Moose injedtors? I know they are from Agnem but How do i find pricing and availability?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online