Should this be tightened?

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just familiarizing myself more with the engine when I noticed this bolt that looks like it should be tighter and has some sheared bits of metal on it - which I never take as a great sign. Should I just wrench this down a little more? it looks like it would control where the pulley sits I guess in case the belt is getting stretched?

You must be registered for see images attach

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be good to throw a wrench at it and see if it needs tightened, the markings alongside the bolts is just different adjustments that has been done to the belt tension. All belts stretch over time and if the tensioner is manual it will need adjusted every so often.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess its hard to tell in the picture but it's not snug. I'll snug it up, thank you! It just looks like a long bolt so given that I'm new to this engine I don't want to crank down on anything especially looking long before I know exactly what it does haha

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess its hard to tell in the picture but it's not snug. I'll snug it up, thank you! It just looks like a long bolt so given that I'm new to this engine I don't want to crank down on anything especially looking long before I know exactly what it does haha

It probably is. There's a few of them on the accessory drive that go all the way through to the head or timing cover or whatever is behind it. No issues tightening it down though!

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrenched on it going tight and loose and it didn't budge. Almost started to kind of twist... the type of thing that happens right before old bolts shear off so I stopped, checked to make sure the entire thing was tight. It was. Moving on. haha

Jim993

Reaction score
Those are AC compressor belt tension adjuster bolts. They are probably already tight. Common to have some metallic shavings at the bolt heads because the bolts have integral lock ratchet surfaces on the underside of the bolt heads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online