Should oil collect in the valley of the block?

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my turbo off due to a constant leak from the turbo drain, the oil is in fact seeping slowly from under the grommet, my question is, if the motor has sat overnight, should there be any oil standing in the valley, not in the valley pan but under it, in the blocks actual valley. The reason I ask is because I'm familiar with valley drains on a sbc, but not the idi, and I am wondering if there should be any oil in the valley itself on the idi. Thanks.

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW, Tollesboro, Ky

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And how do I remove the grommet intact? Is it possible?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Depending on how old and hard the grommet is you may be able to remove it but.. I have my doubts. Contact typ4 aka Russ. He might have some spares or know where to find them. They are a very difficult item to source too. As for oil under the valley pan collecting in the V of the V8 idi nope. Nope possible.. Unless your engine is so sludged up that the drains are plugged up. More likely the valley pan needs holes driven thru the drain hole into the baffles in the pan. A ice pick is whats used. Drilling the holes will leave chips in the engine and we don't want that. Do a search about how many holes to punch thru the pan drain hole.pi

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There's a grommet in the help section that can be made to work for the banks turbos, should be the same for others.

Can't recall the PN#

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I finally got the plug out, cleaned it and the surface thoroughly with solution, and used a tapered punch to enlarge the holes. Just waiting on the rtv I used under the grommet to cure, and added a bead above the bevel on the bottom of the pedestal, my redneck intuitive thinking on how to make an old seal work "better" I dare not say like new lol.