Should I dyno tune a Moose pump?

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Moose pump and some bb code injectors getting installed in November.

I'm getting the work done by a well respected IDI shop around here. Ken Imler Diesel. I had Ken look at the truck the other day to prep for the work. He asked what I was using it for (daily driving and towing ~7000lbs over the Sierras). I told him with the current setup when towing over the Sierras I would have to drop down to 2nd gear and rev the RPMs to get enough air to burn off the fuel(build boost).

He's going to time the pump but he suggested to dyno tune(time?) the pump to work for my intended purpose. Is this worth it? Have any of you done this and what were the results? I really don't know how much this would cost and don't remember hearing of this being done as a norm.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Should take him a few hours if he has a dyno readily available. IMHO it is a great idea, you can set the timing for optimal power which will help keep egts under control

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what's it gonna cost?
most shops can't do that anymore, so if you can find one and it doesn't cost a fortune, get it done.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is actually a concept we hope to play with at the IDI Weekend in July.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11452&highlight=dyno+tune+pump

found this link on dyno tuning/timing the pump. sounds like with a hot pump, it's a good way to go. I'll find out what kind of $$$ it's going to be.

It also got me thinking of how I upgraded my NA to a turbo, turned the pump up, but sounds like turbo pumps operate differently than NA pumps? I'm getting kind of excited to find out how a Moose pump dialed in for turbo application will feel compared to a tired turned up NA pump and old injectors.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don's post is correct. Of course, this conversation took place before the Moose Pump program was implimented. We'd like to think we have the timing curve pretty well set up, but I want to find out if 8.5 is still the correct spec for today's fuel. I know there has been some debate about that, but no science to accurately ascertain the truth. I'm hoping we can change that.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cost is $150 for before and after dyno runs + whatever labor fees for tuning adjustments if any are needed.

What I'm getting done that might impact dyno figures:
1. replace stock IP with Moose Pump from Mel
2. replace injectors with matched BB codes from Russ
3. move CDR to valve cover. get rid of pre-sidewinder intake box. run filter directly to turbo inlet port(it's currently on the inlet port of the box, box is empty).

I'll post the results when I'm done.

Black dawg

Reaction score
yes, definitely do it if you can swing it. Ive found that any time the fuel is turned up much the best timing varies pump to pump.

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OB WAN do you know if Imler's is going to have a dyno day any time in the near future. I'd like to get my rig dynoed but $150. is a little steep. It's cheaper when their running a bunch of rigs throu.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if he has dyno days anymore. I read some posts from back in '05-'08 that listed them but nothing recent. Remember that $150 is for 2 separate runs on the dyno. A before and after. So perhaps $75 for a run?

Give them a call Monday to find out and post up what you find out: 916-920-3775