Should I buy this zf5

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
ZF5 is the way to go for an easy bolt in overdrive swap. It really isn't a big deal, I've changed 4 trucks from C6 to ZF5. Good clutch components are pricey (about $500-$600 for Luk or South Bend complete setup), and you'll want to change the rear main seal to be sure you don't leak oil on your new expensive clutch. Get a firewall brace for the clutch master so you don't crack the firewall ($100-ish) and of course the clutch master/slave/line (a bit over $100 maybe). I haven't done an IDI swap yet but I suspect driveshafts will work fine. 460 C6 and ZF5 are within 1/2" length. Small block ZF5 is several inches longer than all other small block transmissions.

Only downside about ZF5 is breaking bellhousings and trans mounts. I've broke my fair share of ZF5s with a 460. I believe part of the problem is engine torquing around. Have not broke a ZF5 in the 460 truck in 2-3 years since about when I went to a solid drivers side motor mount. Suggest putting new mounts on the IDI if yours are original and maybe through bolting it. I plan to do this when I swap one into my IDI truck even though torque should be well below what my other truck makes.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done an IDI swap yet but I suspect driveshafts will work fine. 460 C6 and ZF5 are within 1/2" length. Small block ZF5 is several inches longer than all other small block transmissions.
C6 driveshafts have been reported to work well. Kinda wish I knew that before spending the money to have a shaft shortened, there was a C6 one in the yard at the time IIRC... Live and learn! Also, the Windsor/I6 ZF ain't that bad in length, its the Mazda transmission that's like 3 miles long, pretty sure it tops even the E4OD and that one is not a small transmission by any measure.

Suggest putting new mounts on the IDI if yours are original and maybe through bolting it.
Thru-bolting? What, and how? Elaborate pls, with visual aids if possible :D

On the cost of the ZF alone, 500-600 does seem to be the typical going rate, at least for the 4x4 versions (unless you're in SoCal, then your price is around 1k according to CL ads). When you got to pick one up, check the input shaft for play - nothing or next to nothing is good, noticeable play suggests worn bearings so rebuilt may be in your future - naturally check all the transmissions the guy has on hand, and take home the one that feels tightest. Pay attention to the gear ratios listed on the label (driver side) as well - they are not all the same, the ones with 4.14 first gear (listed on the label) have a 3.79 reverse gear (reverse is never listed on the label) which is pretty horrible for backing up, the later Powerstrokes ('96 and '97 for sure, possibly earlier) got overall lower ratio in both first (5.08) and reverse (4.66) gear which makes them easier to get the truck moving. There is supposedly also a version with a 5.72 first gear (5.24 reverse), but all of those I've ever ran into have been gasoline transmissions - still it doesn't hurt to check for one, some of us like low-geared transmissions and will pay a bit extra to get one without having to mod a 460 unit or swap guts...

teach

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info everyone. Basically cost wise it's not that much difference; I'm looking at about $1000-1500. So it's really the fact of more work with better results or less work with ok results. No I just need to talk my chief financial officer ( my wife) into buying the zf5.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The results of my own research into rebuilding an E4OD and converting to a ZF5 concluded they were about the same price as well, if you were paying someone to do the E4OD rebuild vs putting the ZF5 in yourself.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The results of my own research into rebuilding an E4OD and converting to a ZF5 concluded they were about the same price as well, if you were paying someone to do the E4OD rebuild vs putting the ZF5 in yourself.
Is that presuming you already have an E4OD to start with? If so, the math will be different for the OP, starting with a C6.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CFO, haha thats a good!
Like you wouldn't know - I have somewhat of a hard time believing that it was you who wanted that biga$$ fish tank in your living room or wherever :D BTW have you tried teaching her how to weld? Much fun can be had then, and much more progress will happen... on her projects that is, not yours! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online