ZF5 Swap: Cross Member Tomfoolery

Zion

Reaction score
After exhausting both the ratchet-strap and skid steer methods of installing a trans, I finally borrowed a jack and got it in. Only issue now is cross member fitment/selection, and how to secure the mounting bracket with only one usable bolt.

The threaded mounts on the ZF5 were already pretty bent up, but the JD sent one to the afterlife. I’ve got both cross members, 2WD ZF5 and 4WD T19, and fitting one is more difficult than described. Right off the bat, the ZF5 member wasn’t mean for a transfer case, so it slams it into the floor pan if you mount it. That leaves the T19 member and it funky mounting system. The cross member itself has two biscuits on which a mounting plate sits. The mounting plate bolts to the trans, but floats on the member. Not sure if that is fine, especially since there will be only one aluminum thread available.

I don’t believe I want to start modifying the cross member until I get the process ironed out more. With that being said, all I need to know is how to secure the trans to the mount in the absence of a bolt, and if the T19 cross member will fly.

Attachments

• CD4B00F7-E789-40BC-85F7-A262F366DBCC.jpeg
    CD4B00F7-E789-40BC-85F7-A262F366DBCC.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 26BAE984-B0C2-480C-8C2C-D91206CE12CF.jpeg
    26BAE984-B0C2-480C-8C2C-D91206CE12CF.jpeg
    591.9 KB · Views: 19

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at it again; Do the two holes in the middle of the T19 bar line up with the standard 'wedge' style mount? Just curious if you swapped that over and removed the 'biscuits' if it would get you some better clearance?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Although it looks factory, I don't recall seeing a contraption like that one before. I'm used to seeing a trans mount that's not much wider that the transmission is. That bolts to the transmission and has a couple of studs that go through the slots in the cross member.

Zion

Reaction score
After looking at it again; Do the two holes in the middle of the T19 bar line up with the standard 'wedge' style mount? Just curious if you swapped that over and removed the 'biscuits' if it would get you some better clearance?
They do like up and I tried them out, but the bracket from the ZF5 places the t-case into the floor again. Although I believe the t-19 member sits lower in the frame, it’s only by a negligible amount. I’m not really sure how high up the output of the t-case should be, but I could measure for the 1 degree offset to see if the ZF5 bracket can swing, although I doubt it will.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add a couple of spacers between the X-member and the frame, 1/4 inch will help and you can go more is you think you need it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do like up and I tried them out, but the bracket from the ZF5 places the t-case into the floor again. Although I believe the t-19 member sits lower in the frame, it’s only by a negligible amount. I’m not really sure how high up the output of the t-case should be, but I could measure for the 1 degree offset to see if the ZF5 bracket can swing, although I doubt it will.
I think the plate that goes above the transmission for the floor of the truck is different for the zf5 too. I had to modify mine in my 86 to accept the zf5's height. That might be some of your issue. Mine is 2wd.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think the plate that goes above the transmission for the floor of the truck is different for the zf5 too.
It is. Mine is close to hitting the floor, but no cigar. It is different enough that I can't faster down the plastic ring that goes around the shifter boot. The boot won't stretch that far. I also had the shifter tower off the top of the transmission when I installed it. That gained me a couple of inches at least.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a thread, T19 to ZF-5 swap

and another.

Goat

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaveBen probably has the right idea to get you going. Some longer bolts and stacked washers to lower the crossmember a hair should get you transfer case clearance. I'm betting the body mounts on that old rig aren't doing you any favors either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx

Members online