Shortcut on replacing fuel pump??

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
Is there any cheats to removing the fuel transfer pump other than removing the turbo?
Thanks Stacy

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the fuel filter cannister out, I think it can be done that way and its easier that way.

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
I read the steve baz pages & now I am scared about "the pushrod falling off requiring removal of motor to retrieve" !!!! It says you can get the banjo bolt out without taking off the turbo though.

Reaction score
You can get it out without taking the Turbo off, Use a IIRC a 1 1/4 box end wrench to loosen it. Now for the pushrod, take the bolts out of the pump and then turn the engine over by hand until it pushes the pump up as far as it can, Then lift it straight up being cautious to not let the push rod fall out.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 pumps that ive done and havent dropped the pushrod yet.as far as necessity of removeing the turbo is concerned,what year is your truck.the 97 california emissions trucks require removeing the turbo.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Turning the banjo bolt is made easier by modifying a box end wrench for more turn between strokes. (I play with fire on a daily basis so it was of no concern to me to bend a little bit of metal) ;Sweet

Attachments

• fuel leak 003.jpg
    fuel leak 003.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 11

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Apparently someone has dropped the pushrod, but I have yet to read of someone who has. It didn't concern me when I did it, and I would just go for it if I was you.

Reaction score
wanderer said:
Apparently someone has dropped the pushrod, but I have yet to read of someone who has. It didn't concern me when I did it, and I would just go for it if I was you.

You may not have heard about it but it has happend many many times and it will drop to the pan, Do you want it rolling around in your Pan? ;Poke

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as it goes to the pan and is confirmed to be in the pan and not somewhere up in the camshaft or crankshaft areas it won hurt a thing.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Heywood Jablowme said:
You may not have heard about it but it has happend many many times and it will drop to the pan, Do you want it rolling around in your Pan? ;Poke

With a name like Haywood, you sound like a real knowledgeable character, especially being a new member. Your knowledge is in question, and I doubt that you are nothing but a troll. My experience, and reading have not come across anyone who has dropped one. I'm sure it has happened, and if it drops to the pan, it is not a problem, as it will just sit there.

I suggest you take a flying leap with your expertise. :backoff

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
was at a class with a 25yr + psd and diesel repair tech, in fact he wrote books on the subject, and has pretty much seen it all.
push rods do fall out, it does happen
if they drop to the pan a ok, but if they dont look out.
Ive change a bunch myself, havent dropped one yet.
Nick

Reaction score
wanderer said:
With a name like Haywood, you sound like a real knowledgeable character, especially being a new member. Your knowledge is in question, and I doubt that you are nothing but a troll. My experience, and reading have not come across anyone who has dropped one. I'm sure it has happened, and if it drops to the pan, it is not a problem, as it will just sit there.

First off Its Heywood and i have been on here a long time But changed my user name. Thats my right and if you dont like it You take a Leap buster.

IF you think my Knowlage is questionable thats your opinion. I dont care to have that thing floating around in my $5000 engines pan. If you do or dont care then your not as Smart as you think you are. I Work on the PSD truck Daily for a living so i guess I would not know anything about them :flipa

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
wanderer said:

Heywood Jablowme said:
First off Its Heywood and i have been on here a long time But changed my user name. Thats my right and if you dont like it You take a Leap buster.

IF you think my Knowlage is questionable thats your opinion. I dont care to have that thing floating around in my $5000 engines pan. If you do or dont care then your not as Smart as you think you are. I Work on the PSD truck Daily for a living so i guess I would not know anything about them

Let's keep this technical whacha say, if youse guy's want to do battle do it in TR.

Let's try to help Stacy out with this pump issue. ;Sweet

John
Your Friendly Nieghborhood Moderator

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
It was no big deal, I read that on my ALLDATA instruction & thought "great"! It didn't even give a hint of falling off. The new pump came with one. The old pump when I tried to pull the pushrod off had suction on it holding on from the oil, after I took it out it would fall out if you just held it like it sits on the motor. The new one had a little grease that held it in fine. Thanks for the help!