Shortcut on replacing fuel pump??

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Looks like another successful pump replacement by someone who was worried about messing up their motor. Knowledge of what CAN happen is great, but scaring someone off from doing a simple job isn't helpful.

As far as something rolling around in the pan, who in their right mind would be happy about it. You have to pull the motor to take the pan off. If I knew it was down there, I wouldn't worry about it. Falls under the category of what is the best course of action now.

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
Another thing, I was doing this for a buddy & his truck is a '94. It says turbo diesel on the fenders. I always thought it was an IDI but it has the injectors & glow plugs under the valve covers (plugs on the gaskets) So I guess its a Powerstroke? It has the filter shroud that says IDI. Reason we started looking was the fuel leak. Saw a '96 powerstroke truck that had the same filter shroud on it also. Anyway we have never chipped it or anything thinking it was an IDI & not much available. Games on now, whats first on the list to do, get rid of that downpipe? Who? What chip for about 100 HP or so? Thanks for the help!

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
The powerstroke engine was introduced mid-year '94, and it was badged turbo diesel. A friend of mine bought one of those new, and when I bought mine in late '95, we popped the hoods and compared engines. I was badged Powerstroke Diesel, and he was badged Turbo Diesel.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stacerbob said:
Another thing, I was doing this for a buddy & his truck is a '94. It says turbo diesel on the fenders. I always thought it was an IDI but it has the injectors & glow plugs under the valve covers (plugs on the gaskets) So I guess its a Powerstroke? It has the filter shroud that says IDI. Reason we started looking was the fuel leak. Saw a '96 powerstroke truck that had the same filter shroud on it also. Anyway we have never chipped it or anything thinking it was an IDI & not much available. Games on now, whats first on the list to do, get rid of that downpipe? Who? What chip for about 100 HP or so? Thanks for the help!
If its totally stock still, first thing to go HAS to be t he air box. There was a recall on them as the plastic bolts would stretch and the cover would warp and then you would suck unfiltered air into the turbo. So, if it still has the stock airbox, ditch it for an open element filter, then the down pipe can be changed. She'll breathe alot easier with these two mods. Let us know how nutz your buddy wants to get and we can spend his money for him.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I agree with Mike, get an open element filter and then the downpipe.

Guages need to be high on the list as well so you can monitor the really important stuff like tranny temps, EGT's and boost.

Check out the advertisers links at the top of the forum home page....you can spend all kinds of money with these folks :D

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
I have access to TS Performance, looks like they list a '95 but not '94?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stacerbob said:
I have access to TS Performance, looks like they list a '95 but not '94?
What are you looking for?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i believe that you will need to replace the PCM in the 94 psd in order for a chip or programmer to work.the 94s werent OBD2.

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
I like the TS 6 position flip chip, Couple other have it, one is a '97, they all seem to work good.