Shocks

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
what kind and place to get them. I know everybody raves about bilstien but a buddy of mine put them on his truck and I didn't notice any difference from the worn out shocks so I'm not paying $80 per shock. I bought a truck so I'm not worried about the ride as much as I just don't won't to hit a bump and bounce for a mile. Anybody use skyjacker it seems like I can get the best price on them from jegs if they are junk I'll probably just go with the heavy duty napa shocks

hayisforhorses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I used the heavy duty napa on my f450 which is the roughest riding rig I ever had the pleasure of owning and they really helped with the after bounce.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have KYB's on the F250 front and rear, rides decent...The F350 has adjustable shocks on the front (Rancho I think) and Kenworth rear shocks...:D:sly....No joke, the rears are massive add on's by the orginal aftermarket body builder.....Rides like a wheel barrow...:rotflmao

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I had Rancho RS5000's on my old f100 and thought they were ok until I tried Explorer Pro Comps. These shocks rode noticeably better and were half the price. Cheap Monroes and the like seem to wear out after 10k miles. The wife's excursion needs shocks after 8 yrs and 92k miles so let us know what you decide to go with and how you like it

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If your buddy put in a set of bilsteins and they didn't ride good ( riding as bad as the old ones is a dead give away), chances are, he's running around with too much stinking air in the tires, and no shock is going to cure that. I see this all the time, Just because the sidewalls say max pressure 80 psi, doesn't mean fill the dang steer tires to 80 and run around town, but that's exactly what most folks do, then they gripe about the shocks.
The door sticker on my f350 says to run at 58 psi when loaded and even that is too dang much to run around with empty ( and if I want to get real nit picky, that was for a smaller size stock tire, with the 235/85-16 on there now, the load capacity increased a bit which should drop the pressure even more, but my little pea brain doesn't want to figure those fancy numbers up LOL. I knock em down to about 48 running around town empty , It keeps the ride civilized, handles better and keeps the tires wearing evenly instead of wearing down the middle

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Totally agree, the 80psi is for max weight of around 3000lbs a tire.

Otherwise you're losing traction, wearing the middles and risking bouncing off the road on a bumpy corner.

One thing I've noticed though, if the tires are run too low, the shocks also don't seem to respond, I think maybe the valves don't work right with too low of tire pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online