shifting hard

f350idi

Reaction score
need help my 92 f350 idi 4eod transmission is shifting hard I thought it may be the tranny fluid but changed everything from the filter in the tranny to the fluid and that stil didn't work I also changed the neutral safety switch because the transmission guy said it could be that. it didn't start till it rained bad one day I thought it could be s sensor

Desertrig

Reaction score
I've just fought through my electronics on an e40d rebuild. My hard shifts appear to have been caused by a $10 part and corrosion. There are three connectors on my tranny: VSS (which was my issue, the gear on the end of it specifically), The connector on the passenger side showed a lot of bare copper on the harness side and was replaced and the connector on the linkage wasn't much better. I found tons of corrosion in the connectors where the trans harness connects to the main harness under the master cylinder. I also found my harness from the tach sensor and fipl (tps) to have a rub through on the alternator as it was no longer attached above everything. This caused slight fluctuations in the tach or the convertor was locking and unlocking. I also cleaned my brain connectors (it seems to have a good seal and wasn't necessary) and adjusted the fipl (look in the tech section). From what I understand the fipl, tach, and VSS are the only sensors the brain uses to control the trans. There are some checks I found while searching the board on my issue, but didn't apply since my tranny was fresh. Things like checking inside the wire connections on the tranny for fluid, checking line pressure.... I'd inspect the connections/harness on the trans, and the fipl/tach. I'd clean the tranny harness to main harness connection - battery disconnect if you use metal on the females. Then I'd run it and check the codes. Still problematic - move on to line pressure and inspecting the connectors in the tranny and by that time some of these smart guys will chime in. Oh my rebuilder said, I would only be messing up the trans while I was testing it, if it was messing up in reverse....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got her fixed.

As you found out anytime the trans gets bad information or no information at all it goes into "limp home mode" which firms up the shifts and typically won't lock up the TC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online