shifting hard

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
Have an issue going here looking for some help, got a 96 F-250 7.3 with the E4OD, tranny was rebuilt about 5 yrs ago due to T.C. going out, had heaver T.C. put in along with a shift kit, fast forward to now. Here about a mounth ago it started shifting REAL HARD from 3rd to 4th:dunno, it is not constant but from what I can tell it seems to do it more, the more I drive it, (fluid getting warmer) as I have also noticed that the tranny temp is running alittle hoter than normal, I did change the fluid and filter about a mth ago, as I do it every yr anyway. The hard shift is only from 3-4 all the others seem ok, I took it to a friend of my dads who has his own tranny shop, the first time he said he removed the V.B. and cleaned everthing good and that one of the valves? had a small burr on it which he polished off, it ran ok for a few days after that but then started doing it again, took it back he remove one of the springs (from shift kit i guess) same thing ran ok for a day or so, and is now back to doing it, any ideas on where to go next? thanks

Roy

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Pull any codes from the computer? Try some Auto Rx in the trans, T-tec flush it, be sure to do the torque convertor and trans on the fill. Make sure the solenoids are functioning properly. Check all connections.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Pull any codes from the computer? Try some Auto Rx in the trans, T-tec flush it, be sure to do the torque convertor and trans on the fill. Make sure the solenoids are functioning properly. Check all connections.

I think there is a shift sensor on those as well, pretty sure my buddy's had the e4od, and spuratic hard shifting is what his was doing too. The new sensor cleared it rite up.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
This could be many things without codes. Could be a problem with the lline modulator. Dirty or sticking valves.(Most common) The overdrive accumulator is sticking. The accumulator body might need a good cleaning. They get dirty and tired with age.:D

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I think there is a shift sensor on those as well, pretty sure my buddy's had the e4od, and spuratic hard shifting is what his was doing too. The new sensor cleared it rite up.

This would be the Transmission Range Sensor or TRS. Another name for the same part is Manual Lever Position Switch MLPS. The old name that most parts stores will remember is neutral safety switch. :D

That will cause some funky issues too.:eek:

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
I did have to replace the "neutal safty switch" here a few mths ago after running over a branch and busting the other one:dunno

stay safe out there
Roy