she hates the heat!!!

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
this could be a sign of the need for a radiator, but here's what happends.

on a hot day, normal driving, with the a/c on it heats up fast. now i dont have an aftermarket temp guage, but she always runs in the "o" in normal range. with the a/c on, she'll get to the "a" sometimes.

when i turn the a/c off, it comes down. i dont get it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Drain the radiator some till you can see the tubes. If they have corrosion around them its time to rod out the radiator. How old is the fan clutch? Has anybody changed the thermostat? If so did they install only the Ford stat?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its probably a combination of the fact that the AC especially under load in town when its very hot does work the cooling system very hard and perhaps something in the system isn't 100%. You really should add a mechanical gauge man.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a digital temp gauge and the stock in dash unit hooked up, the in dash unit moves around quite a bit while the digital stays consistent. The in dash gauge has been called an "idiot" light with a needle and that is surely the case according to my findings. It will peg if the temp goes too high and cause a check engine light (or so I've read, never got that hot myself) so I wouldn't rely on it much.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
My engine temp went up to 220-ish when i was on the 6% grade this weekend sucking wind. I figger the turbo and intercooler should resolve that issue. Is 220 pretty much the danger zone for a 6.9?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe tis an exception, but my gauge ain't no idiot light - it normally stays on the "O" of NORMAL, once I slow down it climbs to the "A" (also if I get on the throttle real hard), and if I just let her idle or I get stuck in traffic she'll be at the "L" in no time, A/C or not. I could easily tell the difference as well, when I opened the hood, higher reading of the gauge really did mean higher engine temp. That was all till I locked the clutch a week or so ago - now she's steady at "O", full throttle and a 50-ft smoke trail behind me can get her up to the "M", but that's it - no more "A"s and higher, she's nice and cool. I'm taking her on a 200-mile trip tomorrow evening, with an enclosed car trailer behind her, so we'll see how she deals with high air drag and more engine load...

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went on a trip to Las Vegas with my dually. On the way back towing a Mercedes 300sd on a car dolly it kept overheating. I noticed that when I turned on my headlights that my temp went up a few letters right away. That's how I discovered that my fan clutch crapped out.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went on a trip to Las Vegas with my dually. On the way back towing a Mercedes 300sd on a car dolly it kept overheating. I noticed that when I turned on my headlights that my temp went up a few letters right away. That's how I discovered that my fan clutch crapped out.
that's alot of car to have on a dolly.
btw, how's the transmission on the mbz after the trip?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's alot of car to have on a dolly.
btw, how's the transmission on the mbz after the trip?

I used a dolly made by Demco which imho is the best manufacturer.
You're right in assuming that I didn't disconnect the driveline. It was way too hot and I didn't want to leave bubbling back skin on the pavement.
As for the transmission well, it was already shot. The trans wouldn't go into foward or reverse gears and is why I got it rather cheap. What I did do is I left the engine running for the trip. That way I didn't ruin a rebuildable trans and also because I had the emergency flashers on during the trip back as an additional safety measure. I've noticed people don't pay attention to the dolly lights since they are basically located alongside the rear edge of the front fenders of the car being towed.
If you were wondering why I didn't use my tow truck it's because A. the dually gets better mileage, B. has a turbo, c. auto with cruise control, d. air conditioning but found out I couldn't use it because of that darned fan clutch,
and finally e. not sure if I trusted it for a long trip yet.
Tried to remove fan clutch with rental tools from Autozone without success. I'm gonna have to buy a decent 48mm wrench and make my own pully holder.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a temp gauge. What does The "o" or the "m" or whatever letter in "Normal" mean????? Who knows! These stock gauges are unreliable. My oil pressure gauge is barely in the "normal" range on the stock gauge at 50 psi. Don't trust them. You likely have don't have an issue with cooling at all, but just gauge issue.

Get some Autometers or some ISSPRO's and you'll know what is really going on with your motor and you be one happy camper for sure.;Sweet

Heath