Severe coolant flush how to

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are all not reading the post. I use pipe plugs on the radiator outlets, you are only touching the radiator with acid!!!!!! And before you hook the hoses back up it gets thoroughly washed out with a neautralizing agent. Such doom and gloom meme era, geeze I guess that's why repair shops stay in business but I for one am all about fixing problems myself. This does zero harm.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I guess I ASSumed you were using some acid in the engine also...guess what that oil cooler looks like...

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Yeah, I've been wondering, what part of "no fluid touches the engine" are people NOT getting?.....

This is basically an inside-out version of what radiator shops used to do day-in, day-out, back when radiators weren't made out of ticky-tacky and were worth repairing. You'd pull the radiator out of the vehicle and dunk the whole thing in an acid bath for... oh... half a workday, or overnight if needed.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with what he's doing although I would start with vinegar and work my way up to a stronger acid. I'm no chemist but I ran vinegar in the engine without issue, I'm sure it isn't easy on seals but neither was all the crap that got flushed out. Thanks for sharing your technique and experience

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Yeah, I've been wondering, what part of "no fluid touches the engine" are people NOT getting?.....

This is basically an inside-out version of what radiator shops used to do day-in, day-out, back when radiators weren't made out of ticky-tacky and were worth repairing.
You'd pull the radiator out of the vehicle and dunk the whole thing in an acid bath for... oh... half a workday, or overnight if needed.
I once rented a space for a radiator repair shop. Old Connie would repair/flush Rads for a trucking company, his boiling tank was a Caustic solution, he would boil them overnite and flush with clear water next day, pressurize under water them for leaks and repair if necessary.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Oh boy...I am backwards....I read it as flushing block only w acid....not radiator....I guess my readin skilzz ar on par wit my wrktimf...

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the understanding, yes I wouldn't dare put acid into the engine system. You plug up the radiator and make sure not to skip the heater core outlet as that'll put fluid through the engine if you forget