Serpentine Belt on an IDI

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it true that the 1992 7.3L used a serpentine Belt system? Can this system be applied to the older 6.9 and 7.3's?

What is the best way to get a serpentine belt system on a diesel that didn't come with one?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yup planning on putting the serp belt set up from my blown 93 onto my 6.9

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As previously stated, it can be done. I think the multi-belt was used on trucks up to 92and the serpentine belt was put on the 92 1/2 and up. My truck is a 92 1/2 and has the serpentine belt. Go to a junkyard and find a donor truck.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth though, the V-belt setup is simpler and possibly more robust. Having both, I see no reason or desire to convert.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth though, the V-belt setup is simpler and possibly more robust. Having both, I see no reason or desire to convert.
mel-
i've ran v-belt for years until I bought the '92. after doing the bracket and the tensioner upgrade, I haven't had to deal with belt issues for three years. considering I had at least three sets of v-belts in the back seat of the towtruck and the alternator had a mission of taking out all the belts when it lets go, I'd say even though the serp setup doesn't seem as rugged, there's less headaches of maintence overall. With v-belts, they had a lifespan of six months max. with serp, three years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online