sending unit locations?

JourneymanD

Reaction score
hey guys. I wanted to know the best place to locate my thermocouple for the pyro gauge. the driverside pipe crosses under the bellhousing where it joins with the passenger side and continues back. should i put the thermo in the pipe after the "y" to catch the temp from both banks or should i put it in after one of the manifold dumps. if so, is there a preffered side to monitor (does one side have a tendency to run warmer then the other?)

also, I was wondering where the best place to mount the oil temp sender. I was thinking about drilling and taping a hole in the oil cooler header(it apears that oil flows from the front of the engine thru the cooler to the filter.) tapping here would catch the temp pre-cooler, which seems to be the logical place to measure, the thought being that the hottest oil is on its way to the cooler. Does anybody have some thoughts on this?

I was also planning on teeing the transmission temp sender inline on the line feeding the trans cooler for the same reason. I know some have used the pressure test port, but it doesnt seem there would be much flow past this point that would show the indication of true fluid temp. besides, I will have a pressure gauge there to monitor line pressure on the go anyway. seems like the juice going to the cooler is going to be the hottest, and therefore the best measure of fluid temp. the trans place says to replace the drain plug in the pan with the sender. most people might do that, but i am a machinist, and can fab a "t" as needed to place it in the plumbing to the cooler. (i also noticed that derale makes a trans filter header that has provisions for a temp sender in it already) any thoughts?

Thanks

Dylan

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pyro- put it PRE TURBO. I had mine in the DP for a few years but when I replaced the burnt out manifold gasket on the PS I drilled and tapped one of the bosses there. The 900 I was seeing in the DP turned into 1300 in the manifold.
Trans temp- I have allways put mine in the cooler line before the cooler. Do your trans a favor and get a remote filter and put you sender there.
Not sure on the oil temp, but someone will chime in soon.

JourneymanD

Reaction score
Pyro- put it PRE TURBO. I had mine in the DP for a few years but when I replaced the burnt out manifold gasket on the PS I drilled and tapped one of the bosses there.

I would love to put it pre turbo, but I don't have a turbo yet:cry: not in the budget unless anybody has a hypermax pulse kit for the 7.3L idi van they could sell me cheap. also, i was wonderin... my engine doesnt have the HD con rods and turbo pistons... aside from re-torquing the heads & intake would i have any stess probs as long as i didn't get crazy w/ boost (10-12psi max?) and kept an eye on egts?

suv7734

Reaction score
I would love to put it pre turbo, but I don't have a turbo yet:cry: not in the budget unless anybody has a hypermax pulse kit for the 7.3L idi van they could sell me cheap.

The general idea is to get it as close as possible to the cylinder for the most accurate readings. The two rear cylinders tend to run the hottest. Many people have just tapped into the exhaust manifold.

also, i was wonderin... my engine doesnt have the HD con rods and turbo pistons... aside from re-torquing the heads & intake would i have any stess probs as long as i didn't get crazy w/ boost (10-12psi max?) and kept an eye on egts?

There are lots of people running turbos on the NA pistons and rods with no problems (look at the sigs from any thread). Like you said keeping an eye on the boost and EGT will make it live.