Screwball auxiliary trans idea of the day.

7.3shrk

Not sure though, I am thinking about picking it up, but do not know if I will put it in my F-250 or my GMC. I am scared of doing too much with the Ford since it is my DD.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Any word yet ??

Not yet. I put out a feeler over there on tds to see if anyone knows how to get ahold of him. It doesn't look like he's posted since March ( which isn't an uncommon spread for him by the looks of past posts ). but his last post was his truck got some body damage in a wreck, so hopefully he hasn't dropped off the radar too far.

That was a really clean install he did on that thing. It would be nice to see how he did the shift linkage on it.

--------Robert

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I saw a unit maybe by the same "woodie:this guy is near here.He used an older (I believe we used to call them Brownie boxes,because they were made by browning(not sure of the spelling))Don't quote me.From one of the older semi tractors built in the 60s or 70's.He mounted it divorced on a home made crossmember. Talk about a granny gear!! He bought militery surplus form all over the country.I saw it pull a load grossing 35,000 no problem from Florida to Oklahoma. So you guys have a great idea.!!!

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Any chance you could measure the outsides of those boxes ? It would give a nice comparison point.
The 5531 is the same case as a 5831 from what I can tell, and they're the cheapest of the bunch.-------Robert
Well I finally got round to measuring with my handy-dandy 25'Stanly leverlock...

Rear driveline: Center of carrier bearing back to rear yoke is approx 60" & the slip joint/yoke is behind the carrier bearing.

The 5531 (Brown-Lipe) is approx.21"L x 14"H x 11"W. On the 11"wide part (cast into case) the mounting holes are 9"center. Top of case down to centerline where driveline/ujoints would go thru is 5 1/2"
Tag on this one states "LowGear" 2 00 1.....not sure now what gearing this one is. I thought I figured it out last year, turning & counting input & output in ea. gear, but.....????
The pic JPR posted Spicer 5831 looks just like the 5531, except it has small flange to bolt ujoint to on both ends....like Woodie's Pic
The 21"L measurement is from this flange to flange.....then add 2"more to each end to center of ujoints.

All 3 of mine have the "SlipRing Collar" mounting device on front of tran. just like in the Spicer5831 pic & Woodie's pic Then on back there is 2 mounting holes (11"wide part (cast into case) the mounting holes are 9"center) but the 5831C has side bolt holes, then a different mounting bracket, but does the same.

The 5831C has drain out back, toward bottom of case.
The 5531 & 6231B has drain in very bottom of case.
The 5831C & 6231B looks just like the pic Spicer 5831, mt. slipring collar with mounting bolts, front small ujoint flange, larger rear flange to bolt Ebrake disc to,

The 5831C (GMC Truck & Coach) is near same size, just little bigger than 5531.
5831C is 20 1/2"L flange to flange x 14"T x 10"W. Top of case down to ujoint centerline is 5 1/2"....then add 8-9" for Ebrake disc & ujoint & driveline slip
yoke.
5831C Tag has no gear ratio stamped, someone has painted 1.2 1 .80 on case. the site Here's Another Site Auxboxes shows it being 1.27 1 .85....I wish all the hand written notes on this site showed up better.

The 6231B (Brown-Lipe) is biggest & heaviest. 24"L flange to flange x 17"T x 14"W (11 1/2"W mt. holes) Top of case down to ujoint centerline is 6 1/2"
Tag on this one states "LowGear" 2 14 1.... I assume it's double under, under, direct.

I just wish we could find more info about these units, some service manuals or something. I can just see me now with these things tore down, no book, scratching my head & talking dirty!!!

I was going to post some stuff down in big rig stuff but see one of you already askin down there.

Here's another link I posted on...see what happens. Follow-up posts don't bring link back to front of list though. Yesterday's Trucks Classic Truck Discussion

Last edited:

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
(I believe we used to call them Brownie boxes,because they were made by browning(not sure of the spelling)
Bill, I typed in "Brownie" on Yahoo & Google last year & managed to pull up lots of info....some history etc, about Brown-Lipe, Dana, Spicer, Watson, Lipe, etc, etc.....man they all merged & split & bought out each other & married each other & fought each other & then became best of friends before it was all said & done:D

Either way, I didn't know till I found all the info what the real name was....Brown-Lipe.

I even had a 4 speed "Brownie" installed behind a 13 speed OD one time....just kinda for the heck of it. Even then I didn't know what real name was. Just knew what the shop bill was.:eek: :eek:
& I had to pass that one off to the wifey as one of those "Gott'a do it now things" Finaly she noticed that 2nd stick about 6 mo later!

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I just emailed Spicer to see if they had service manuals still available for all those units. We'll see what comes back. Considering that they still make plenty of parts for them, I would assume they have the manuals. There's quite a few sites that have rebuild kits for them.

Either way, I would assume that they would all be pretty similar to the single countershaft aux boxes that there were manuals for on that one site I linked to.

-Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, here's a kicker. I just got an email back from Spicer and it turns out they sold their commercial vehicle transmission division to Transmission Technologies Corporation several years ago, and that's the place I had the link to with the manuals online. Anyways, they're the ones with the manuals.

------Robert

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Well, here's a kicker. I just got an email back from Spicer and it turns out they sold their commercial vehicle transmission division to Transmission Technologies Corporation several years ago, and that's the place I had the link to with the manuals online. Anyways, they're the ones with the manuals.------Robert
Robert, what's the link, or have you already posted it?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I posted it somewhere in this thread, but here is the link to TTC

The have service and parts manulas spread through that list as free downloads, and they may have more available

-------Robert

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
I'm guessing nobody heard from Woodie yet?
Really like to get more info as I could.
Midnight you figure out what # of 4 speed that is you have?

I'm trying to get a better handle on how much these things weigh....I go out there & roll around & try to pick up one of mine & I nearly drop & step on the family jewels!!! I just picked the 6231 up about 3"....I may have to get my walker out & dusted off.....:eek:

The link Spicer Auxillary Ratios that is on the web, can any of youall read the handwritten aux #'s?
1st one is 5831, 2nd looks like 6041, 3rd ????6231 or 7231, 4th???? 6041 or 7041, 5th one I can barely make out an 8....this would be 8031.

Anybody read better?

If these wts are close to right it would make a 6041, 7041. & my 6231 weighing 3-400#.

Sticking one of these in would solve "adding wintertime wt" wouldn't it!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm guessing nobody heard from Woodie yet?
Really like to get more info as I could.
Midnight you figure out what # of 4 speed that is you have?

I'm trying to get a better handle on how much these things weigh....I go out there & roll around & try to pick up one of mine & I nearly drop & step on the family jewels!!! I just picked the 6231 up about 3"....I may have to get my walker out & dusted off.....:eek:

The link Spicer Auxillary Ratios that is on the web, can any of youall read the handwritten aux #'s?
1st one is 5831, 2nd looks like 6041, 3rd ????6231 or 7231, 4th???? 6041 or 7041, 5th one I can barely make out an 8....this would be 8031.

Anybody read better?

If these wts are close to right it would make a 6041, 7041. & my 6231 weighing 3-400#.

Sticking one of these in would solve "adding wintertime wt" wouldn't it!

Looks like you're reading it right, #3 looks like 7231 and #4 looks like 7041.
That would really take care of the snow traction issues, no more throwing tires in the bed :D
Better not try to lift those things much, that sounds like a fast way to hurt :kick: :rotflmao
I remember about 20 years ago I worked with this big swede and I watched this guy pickup a 13 speed and stick it on a bench by himself. Heck, I could barely shuffle one of those things around on the floor.It hurt to watch :rotflmao

--------Robert

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I find its easy to pick up alot of stuff other people find challenging. Then again Im 16, 6'3, and 250lbs lol. I put a tranny and a transfercase into my friends F150 without any sort of jack.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have another piece of the puzzle. This place appears to make aftermarket rebuild kits for all those old Spicer boxes.
I have emailed them to see if they carry service manuals for them as well, or if they know where to get them.

--------Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online