Scratch on Block cylinder

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
:eek:

I began to hone the cylinders again, because I wasn't satisfied with the initial honning. I felt a little scratch mark on one of the cylinder walls. Its about 3/8s" long, 1/16th" wide, in the center of cylinder and about a hair deep. This scratch runs parallel with the cylinders length.

Please advise
:confused:
Thanks

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
0_o as described all i can think is a ring end flexing out during only part of the compression cycle (im thinking when theres a rapid swing in compression) and repeatedly knicking the wall.

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Its highly possible that scratch was an effect of one of the ridge reamer legs :mad: .
As each cylinder has three buff marks , not scratches, where a ridge reamer was used. Only the one cyliner has the scratch.
I re-measured the scratch, and the offical size is 1/4" length,it lyes isolated in the center of the cylinder wall,runs parallel with cylinder length, 1/32" width and 1/32" deep.

What are my options :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Please , please tell me I dont have to bore and resleave :drunk:

Last edited:

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Sorry for being impatient guys

Please let me know what ya'll think about my current sitiation
I dont think I can sleep tonight without a solution.
I'll be biten my nails and staring at this post all night.

I have attached some pics of the scratch

Thanks guys

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 10
  • cylinder2.jpg
    cylinder2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 10

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
if it was mine I would make sure there is no sharp edge on it, make sure a ring gap doesnt line up with it, then put it together.

of course Im the same guy that has a window in a block Im gonna jb weld and reuse.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If you build it, it will run! Put it together. I can't imagine this being an issue, pretty small imperfection.