Scout ALMOST ran....7.3 glow plug controller?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
hows the controller work?i need a wiring diagram to figure what gets power and what had key on power.... :dunno i had the scout cranking and it was POURING white smoke but i have no idea how to work the gp controller. can i temp, run straight 12 volts to them for a few seconds???

thanks
-Jon

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, the 7.3 glow plug controller has a black wire that is grounded to the block or other metallic ground, and a small 10mm(I think) terminal which needs a key on hot or manually switched direct 12V. The 2 fusible links which form the glow plug harness bolt onto the larger bolt at the base of the zigzag metallic part of the controller, which is the relay. DON"T put constant or key on voltage at the base of the relay, this will fry your glow plugs. There is a diagram somewhere on here search under solid state conversions or something. FYI I used a 16 AWG wire to the red terminal of the GP controller and spliced that into the red key on hot wire going to the fuel shutoff solenoid on my IP. I don't know if you want to do that or not since it is kind of redneck.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
If I remember right, the 7.3 glow plug controller has a black wire that is grounded to the block or other metallic ground, and a small 10mm(I think) terminal which needs a key on hot or manually switched direct 12V. The 2 fusible links which form the glow plug harness bolt onto the larger bolt at the base of the zigzag metallic part of the controller, which is the relay. DON"T put constant or key on voltage at the base of the relay, this will fry your glow plugs. There is a diagram somewhere on here search under solid state conversions or something. FYI I used a 16 AWG wire to the red terminal of the GP controller and spliced that into the red key on hot wire going to the fuel shutoff solenoid on my IP. I don't know if you want to do that or not since it is kind of redneck.

i need a diagram. and i poked around with some power....think i may have killed it.... :puke:

-Jon:mad:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I have it....just stand by and I will dig it up. You only need to hook up 3 wires to it so do not go out and burn a set while I try to find this.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21811&page=3
Post #53 on page 4. Oh, and install it on the valve cover....ask me how I know...
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27813
In case you too want full manual control.

Be sure to hook up the ground. It will not work properly (as I THOUGHT it would ground through the GPs) if it is not. On page 4 you will see my previous setup. The red wire is ignition, the black is ground, the two/split green is battery power and the other plug is supposed to go to the WTS light. Any other questions I would be happy to answer.

SWS

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for digging that up SWS. You did about the exact same as I did. I just left the blue WTS wire hanging cause when I put the setup together I still had the 6.9 WTS light which is on whenever the glow plugs are energized. The 7.3 system is not the same regarding the WTS light. Now I have none, I have been thinking of hooking up an indicator bulb and mounting it wherever it's convenient, hot to the same terminal as both fusible links for the GP harness and ground to a convenient ground near the dash. It should function in much the same way as the 6.9 WTS light, on whenever the GPs have juice. This time of year an 8 second glow is plenty but it would be nice in the winter to not have to pay such close attention to the GP relay clicking off to know when I can start.

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
on my 7.3 i removed the white wire ,hooked up a wire to that ran it into the cab on a switch. then from the switch wired to ground .so when i push on push button im sending a ground to the controlller turning my glowplugs on

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
The WTS light is ground side switched for those who do not know. That means you need to put power on one side of the bulb and run the ground wire to the terminal on the GPR. When it is powered up, the light will illminate giving you the proper WTS function. I have the 6.9 harness on the engine, but it is in a gasser so I am using the "shift" light for my WTS. Hopefully it will be alright. Next is the blower mount.

SWS

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lug on the solenoid that has 12v constant, not the start side.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want the main power for the glow plug assembly to come from a 12V unswitched power source. The place that ford used is the 12v Batt side of the solenoid that is located on the fender. The glow plugs pull a lot of current up to possibly 200 amps, you want a good heavy gauge wire feeding them and you want the wires to come directly from the battery or as close as possible, wich makes the 12v batt side of the solenoid a good choice. I was just saying not to use the start side because then they would only have power when cranking.

Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Do you not have a glow plug harness?
You must be registered for see images attach

The bolted section on the right side of the pic that goes to the end of that metal strap has two fuseable links in it. One for each bank. They are hot in the WTS position as they are heating up the setup. Savvy?
SWS

Last edited:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i got nothing but the wires and ends that go to the GPs i'm going to make a harness as i'm starting from scratch on the scout.... cookoo

-Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online