Scout ALMOST ran....7.3 glow plug controller?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Run a pair of wires off of that and be sur they have fuses or links in them. From then, branch them off to the gps. One heavy guage per side.

SWS

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The zigzag metal strap acts as a resistor. This thing will get hot during operation, so keep your fingers off of it. The glow plug wires will connect to the "lower" end of the strap at the base, not at the top on the actual relay. The green wire you see already in place there is important. This is one of two points used by the circuit which monitors the difference in voltage thus determining glow plug "on" time. The circuit is balanced for the total amperage draw of 8 working glow plugs. Fewer glow plugs will not cause a sufficient voltage loss across the zigzag resistor, resulting in short cycle times.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ahh ic. again another big help here! i took the connectors to the GP controller off a van because i could not find JUST the ends for the GPs. also got a bunch of engine connectors and that fancy Iternational relay, which i'm not sure what it connects to.....:dunno

-Jon

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
The zigzag metal strap acts as a resistor. This thing will get hot during operation, so keep your fingers off of it. The glow plug wires will connect to the "lower" end of the strap at the base, not at the top on the actual relay. The green wire you see already in place there is important. This is one of two points used by the circuit which monitors the difference in voltage thus determining glow plug "on" time. The circuit is balanced for the total amperage draw of 8 working glow plugs. Fewer glow plugs will not cause a sufficient voltage loss across the zigzag resistor, resulting in short cycle times.

ok i figured it out enough to get the GP's to light and start the engine easier, but i'm jumping power from the "key on" stud to the +12V lug and holding it about 8 seconds then taking it off and cranking, what am i missing to make it "self regulate" and cycle???? :confused:

-Jon

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2 cents
i ran from the starter solinoid hot to the gp relay i mounted on the fender with a 6ga wire
then i ran indivual 12 ga wires to each gp and it works fine

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok i figured it out enough to get the GP's to light and start the engine easier, but i'm jumping power from the "key on" stud to the +12V lug and holding it about 8 seconds then taking it off and cranking, what am i missing to make it "self regulate" and cycle???? :confused:

-Jon

It sounds like your relay is fine, but your logic circuit isn't working. Double check your wiring and your grounds. See if you can get some pictures of one that is working, and make sure your wiring is the same.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i made up this little diagram, but i dont know if it is correct. if someone could tell me if it is correct, then maybe it will help 6.9poweredscout

You must be registered for see images attach

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i made up this little diagram, but i dont know if it is correct. if someone could tell me if it is correct, then maybe it will help 6.9poweredscout

thanks.... ok mine looks similair, got the 12 volts power constant, straight grounded the WTS lite (no bulb with my obama wiring), grounded to intake, the wires that were on it are where they were when i got it, GP wires go to all 8 GPs, and i "pretend" key on 12V with a straight wire from 12V. soooo if i leave the straight "key on" 12V it'll automatically start cycling? i just want to be 100% certain before i burn anything up. i thought there was an additional relay somewhere....:confused: i pulled a few harnesses at the j/y and wound up with a International relay somewhere in there but i'm not sure where it goes.

Note: i have the battery just temp. hooked up with no alt. voltage charging it, i just recharge it every few starts to keep the voltage up.

thanks guys! ;Sweet
-Jon

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ok, i'm starting the wiring soon and i'm just running 12V key on power to it as all the diagrams suggest. no one said otherwise.

thanks
-Jon

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wired up my controller on my truck. That looks to be the same wiring that I did. Yes the key on power is the same as for the inj. pump. Mine had fusible links in the wiring from the battery to the controller so I am wiring it directly to the battery.
Of course I haven''t tried mine yet...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
the fusable link is the constant power to the relay? would a fuse work ok? or is it ok to straightwire it with no fuses?? :confused:

thanks
-Jon ;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I had a request for some help on the 7.3 swap.

These two wires need to be jumped...

SWS