Score!

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Hopefully in the next few days I can try this out and see how well it works...

You must be registered for see images attach

normally these are like $450..... found this one on ebay for $250...made the seller an offer (he had a best offer on the auction) and ended up getting it for just a hair over $200 shipped. looks like its a kent moore knock off.

Jason

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Awesome score!

You know, I keep being tempted to build one from scratch... just for funzies. I have a box full of Arduinos and nothing to do with them...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
same thing I have Jason, but I have the timing light with it too. that's what the IH dealers use to time them. if you need any help with it just call. I will be using mine tomorrow.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you just had to move didnt you? id have given ya a chance to test it

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
I have two trucks to test it on...just been too damn cold outside and my dually is still in the garage

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
meter

same thing I have Jason, but I have the timing light with it too. that's what the IH dealers use to time them. if you need any help with it just call. I will be using mine tomorrow.

What size clamps do you have? I know we need 1/4 in for our trucks. I was looking at a new one like this and they give you 3 clamps with it and I'm trying to get an idea on which ones to get. Also is the timing light of any use?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice Jason, did you get the mag pickup too?

What all did it come with?

Waiting on your report back with details!

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Yep...comes with the mag pickup...a 1/4" line clamp and lead....full instructions...its setup to use a timing light also but that didnt come with it. Its a nice meter...im anxious for the weather to get better to use it. Even though my dually is in the garage I dont have any exhaust hose so I have to have the door open to run it.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome score!

You know, I keep being tempted to build one from scratch... just for funzies. I have a box full of Arduinos and nothing to do with them...

Had the same thought. I talked to one of our hardware guys at work and he said it could be done. The mag pickup isn't that hard; but he said with a comparator, a piezo, and a few gadgets, he could put together something that would be tunable to get the injector knock to send a pulse over usb. The software would be a breeze. We looked at some piezo waveforms and the mic will definately be the pinch point. Knowing exactly which part of the wave to use and how to filter will take a bit of figuring.

It would be nice to be able to pickup two little boxes with usb with less than $50 in parts. Those two and a laptop and your in business.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
having the timing light is nice if you cant get signal from one of the other pickups. sometimes the crank pickup hole is broken off or full of rust. so I get my RPM signal threw the line clamp, then use the timing light on the crank just like a gasser