school me on propane

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
ok, while injecting propane, i know you are getting more power from a more complete burn and the added combustion of the propane. Has anyone noticed whether or not it developes more boost?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a LPG user but I think the turbo does make more boost with it. Darrin Tosh ran it when his F350 still had an IDI and a non gated Banks turbo. It made more power on his dyno runs. 201 HP with no propane and 215 with, shortly thereafter he blew a head gasket. It works, but you have to be careful for many reasons. I've been tempted but I have no need for the extra power at the moment. If I start towing a boat again that may or may not change.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Yes it does add boost, my setup added about 2PSI. I could hit 13-14 psi without LPG, and would peg the 15 PSI boost gauge with LPG:

Here are the actual dyno numbers:

First pull, no LPG
HP 183.15 Torque 325.45

2nd and 3rd pull with LPG

HP 205.35 Torque 362.64
HP 205.51 Torque 361.55

So 22.96 increase in HP
and 37.19 increase in Torque.

I did blow a head gasket but I knew that it was going for about a year as I was loosing coolant but still didn't take it easy on the truck. No idea how many miles the motor had on it, I was running LPG for 4 years on this motor.

I have had this LPG setup on 2 different trucks with 3 different motor combos.

First
1987 F250 6.9 NA
Second
Big Ed with 7.3 Banks Turbo Diesel
3rd
Big Ed with the Cummins

I have only dynoed the 7.3 Banks Turbo so far.

This is a single stage setup that is either ON or OFF, no boost controller to add more propane at higher Boost or RPM's. It kicks on at about 8 PSI and 3/4 throttle. I have it set pretty conservatively. I would like to add a second stage to it someday that kicks in more propane at about 25 PSI but I really don't need it. The Cummis does like the stuff! ;Sweet

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ahve always wanted to be able to run it 24/7 in conjunction withthe foot feed.

IF it promotes cleaner burning, shouldn't that equal more power, more mpg, all around a better deal, right?

How hard is it to set up to run with a graduated input wait gradient.. hell no coffee yet... what i am trying to say, is I don't want it on or off, I wants its input to match the foot feed. Set it at X amount of flow for max, and WOT, and y amount of flow for idle, and then have it float between those constants as you accelerate and decelerate..

Now about that coffee...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I ahve always wanted to be able to run it 24/7 in conjunction withthe foot feed.

IF it promotes cleaner burning, shouldn't that equal more power, more mpg, all around a better deal, right?

How hard is it to set up to run with a graduated input wait gradient.. hell no coffee yet... what i am trying to say, is I don't want it on or off, I wants its input to match the foot feed. Set it at X amount of flow for max, and WOT, and y amount of flow for idle, and then have it float between those constants as you accelerate and decelerate..

Now about that coffee...

Yep you can buy a Bulllydog type setup that has an adjustable controller that will feed LPG according to the boost numbers. My setup is a homemade so I don't have that piece.

http://www.bullydogparts.com/Bully_Dog_Diesel_Propane_Injection_Kit_p/10800.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online