Scary engine knock

dealwithit

Reaction score
the 92/93 trucks were the only trucks with the turbo and all mechanical pumps with spring only wastegates and no ECU's. also only the 1500's have egr stuff on them, hence why your truck is so simple and clean.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
dude-
it's a brand new motor.
gen2 shortblocks was recently released to keep up with the humvee meltdowns. uncle sugar was paying $10k/ea. for just the shortblocks.:eek:
with the cooling jets, they are now as reliable as the IH idi's;Sweet

DUUUUUUDE!

It's also 4300 bills! In an age when you can buy a low milage running 5.9 12v with trans for $1500 and do the swap for less than a grand double the power and longevity why would you spend that kind of cheese? cookoo

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DUUUUUUDE!

It's also 4300 bills! In an age when you can buy a low milage running 5.9 12v with trans for $1500 and do the swap for less than a grand double the power and longevity why would you spend that kind of cheese? cookoo

Uh yeah thanks, but this will never be a project truck and I have no interest what so ever in putting a cummins in it:rolleyes:. My Dad needs a reliable tool carrier not another cummins build project.

So far the 6.5 has been reliable and the knock has still never returned. It was born with a 6.5 and will die or be sold with one. End of story.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
Uh yeah thanks, but this will never be a project truck and I have no interest what so ever in putting a cummins in it:rolleyes:. My Dad needs a reliable tool carrier not another cummins build project.

So far the 6.5 has been reliable and the knock has still never returned. It was born with a 6.5 and will die or be sold with one. End of story.

Good deal! I wasn't pimping the 12V just pointing out the obsurdity of spending 5k on a 6.5. But then again I'm a tightazz! ;Really

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well mystery solved!!!!!!!!!!!

The knock came back gradually over the last month or so. I pulled the rear passenger injector and took it to a local injector shop to have him pop test it. I couldn't find anything wrong and it seemed to pop well and didn't leak. He did tell me however that sometimes with an injector knock you need to swap injectors to see if the knock follows the injector - which I heard from other sources so thats what I did when I got home.

With the suspect injector now at the front of the engine with everything buttoned ready up to go, the truck started and was idling fine. I was just starting to throttle up to climb out of the driveway when the engine started making a metalic clacking noise with blue/grey smoke being blown out the tailpipe.-cuss

Did some checking and sure enough the smoke reeked of diesel. Not blowby puffing with the oil cap off so it wasn't likely something coming apart internally. Pulled out a wrench for the injector fitting and did a power balance test on the single injector. Sure enough with that line loosened, the knock stopped but RPM still did drop a little. Needless to say, no test drive was needed or advised:puke:

Can some one remind me which members here can supply 6.5 injectors? The local shop wants $70 a pop:***: soooooo lets just say I'm shopping around......

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
dont want to resurrect an old thread but the Bosch injectors are OEM. I had installed 8 delco injectors from the dealer that were bosch made in india. 3 bad out of the box.

i hated that 6.5 but it did return me excellent fuel mileage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online