Scan tools for a laptop??

Billysgoat

Rolling Smokeshow
Reaction score
I have a problem with my truck, it's not charging and the fuel gauge quit working. The fuel gauge is most likely the sending unit, no biggie, just getting around to dropping the tank. The no charge has me worried though, the most likely cause is the failure of the charge circuit in the PCM That is what I have narrowed it down to anyway with out a scan tool.

Now for the big question, who makes a setup for a laptop that will allow me to suck all the programming off the old PCM and squirt it to the new one?? I would also like to be able to read DTC' s and monitor the sensors etc.as well. Who has a setup like I am talking about? Who knows of someone with one? Pro's? Con's? Looking for as much info as possible as quick as possible. I need one today, but that ain't gonna happen. I am looking to get one fedex'd to me tomorrow, assuming it is possible.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A unit that can READ/WRITE the PCM is going to be expensive, and most likely a dealer only piece.

I have the AutoEnginuity (www.autoenginuity.com) and it does all the laptop, PDA, stuff you can ask of it. Im not sure what they have for the HO codes, but they have the Ford/GM guys fully covered with even the "dealer only " codes.

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you change basic settings (like tire sizes, etc) with the autoenginuity?

2500cummins

Reaction score
I dont think you can change anything with autoenginuity, I cant even get the chrysler extended software to function on my truck, or a 98 cummins with known problems :rolleyes: It did provide quite a bit of information on my brothers Durango but all it would do on the Cummins was read codes :mad:

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. There has got to be a scanner thats less expensive than the tech 2 or tech 2000( which require add on modules).