SCA Question

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
OK so I've been doing some searching but "SCA" is too short and I'm having a hard time finding the answer...I blew a heater hose last week, and had to add coolant that did not mention any thing about SCA as that was all they had. My question now is there any place I can get an additive to make my coolant good to go or do I need to drain all that new coolant and find the good stuff?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
DCA-4 from cummins or international dealer

NAPAKOOL from napa

VC-8 from ford

make sure you get the test strips too

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the Motorcraft SCA's ( DCA-4 Type ) are compatible with NAPA's #4056 NAPAKool, WIXcool, Pencool and Baldwin's SCA's ( DCA-2 type) which contain Sodium, Nitrate, Sodium Borate, and Sodium Nitrite.
Better Check...

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, don't mix Napa with the other types. So you have to know what was in there to know what to add. You DID put it in there in the first place, right? If not, you owe yourself a flush anyway. The DCA4 additive needs be used with low silicate antifreeze (the traditional "green" stuff).

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probally best to keep DCA-2 and DCA-4 separate. Make sure the test strips are for the correct DCA as well.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not that mixing the DCA-2 and DCA-4 is the problem, but the issue becomes that you cannot test it, because there is no test strip made for the combination. I would encourage you to do a complete flush, add a coolant filter to your rig, and put in the coolant and SCA of your choice. I used the Pre-charged pink Fleetcharge found at Tractor Supply and NAPA. Supposedly an RV dealer or Freightliner dealer will have DCA-2 coolant filters, test strips, and SCA for maintanance. The DCA-4 is easy to find, but finding a green low silicate antifreeze to add it to, is not.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow the coolant confusion continues... I am NOT an expert but I think I have digested the information from various experts. DCA4 was developed with the IH cavitation problem in mind and it has a DIFFERENT chemical protection than DCA2. DCA4 can be OVERCHARGED and it MUST be used with low silicate antifreeze. It is not appropriate for aluminum parts which want high silicate. Is DCA4 better than DCA2? I would not say that because I don't know, but they are DIFFERENT chemicals. You decide.

A nice summary (IMHO) from TheDieselStop:

DCA = Fleetguard's short name for their brands of Diesel Coolant Additive.

FW-16 = Ford's brand name for Fleetguard's DCA4.

DCA4. The right stuff. Used by Ford, International, and Cummins in cooling systems on HD diesel engines. Ford calls it Motorcraft FW-16. Most others keep the Fleetguard name and simply call it DCA4.

But, Fleetguard makes the "wrong" kind of DCA too.

DCA2. The wrong stuff. Also known as Pencool. Catcool. Nalcool. DEXcool. And a few others, Used by GM, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, and a few others.

DCA4 and DCA2 are completely different chemicals. Although the Penray Company - maker of PenCool and most of the other "cools" - says it is compatible with DCA4, there is no way to test a mix of DCA2 and DCA4. So the simpliest way is to always check what you're buying, and insist on DCA4 or FW-16 and nothing else.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The confusion factor is huge. I have an aluminum radiator and heater core. Decided to use Amsoil's propylene glycol anti-freeze coolant. The product description says that it doesn't need supplemental coolant additives and it's for diesels. It costs more, but it works with aluminum (all metals), diesels, doesn't need SCA's, and the animals can drink it.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is one shoe does not fit all.
My Mercedes diesel does not need SCA nor does my Cummins, but my IH does for sure. Yours with aluminum needs DCA2.