say goodbye to another e4od

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HAD GLEN BURNIE TRANSMISSION rebuild it when i got it back the truck was not shiftin right so I took it back till they got it right. I starting to think the rebuid was a bad one trust me im very easy on the trans when pulling that kind of weight. No reason for the cluches to self destruct!!!! I watch my temps egts Water temps when pulling heavy. when pulling big hills i try to keep from shifting as much as possible. I like the idea of two tranny coolers might explore that one...

Glen Burnie Transmission is a joke at best. I've seen some of their work when I lived in Pasadena. The best builder I have ever seen used to work for Transmission Masters in Pasadena. Carlton is probably one of if not the best builder I've ever met. Pm me if you want his number.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
One of the updates to the E40D was the planetary gears were updated. FYI the cooled oil being returned to the transmission is dumped on the planetary gears to cool & lubricate them. They are a potentially troubled spot on the E40D. Every one seems right in thier individual points,situations.
I agree with Ben -if I had 355s then I would be very particular where I used od!! I had 3:55s in my f250 with 355s.It took its toll on the first gear starting with a load on it - and I didn't really need OD - I needed a 1st under.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how many miles where on this trans since rebuilt?
how often was the fluid flushed?
just my own curiosity.
towing in OD= not a concern guys.common myth,that your not supposed to do it.
3/4 "hunting" is bad yes.lugging with a manual is bad yes.towing in OD is not harmful.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised it he could have held speed if this was a 3.55/E4OD combo and dragging that much weight. Only reason I have to be gentile with my overdrive is I just don't have enough torque to hold speed with heavier loads. I'm not scared of breaking the tranny.

Updates to the planetaries were several.

First mayor flaw was the splines in the overdrive planetary hub did not extend all the way through the hub. This allowed cracks to form and eventually the hub would snap off the planetary carrier - no drive senario. That was corrected with a newer hub that was spline cut all the way through.

Next update was to change the 3 planetary setup to a 4 planetary (forward, overdrive and reverse planetaries were all changed over)

Then came a real inprovement - Steel carriers. The aluminum carrier was replaced with a steel. Some thrust washers were also replaced with needle bearings. Reverse and forward planetaries now had six planets with overdrive having 4. I dare you to break one of those!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at what Brians Truck Shop (BTS) does to the E4OD rebuilds. They have some great tran upgrades. I'm running one of their builds and when it locks up just hold on vacuse your on your way.....;Sweet

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Ford has come out and stated an increased fluid change interval too. I can't remember what it is though (I want to say like 30 or 40K miles). Since I recently put a drain plug in my pan, I'm going to change it more often (and burn the waste).

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why hasn't anybody said anything about an external trans filter on the return line? Change the filter every oil change or put a differential gauge on it and change as needed. It's one of the best things you can do to make a tranny last. Also I know a guy that is using an A/C condenser for his cooler, he swears by it!

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many miles where on this trans since rebuilt?
how often was the fluid flushed?
just my own curiosity.
towing in OD= not a concern guys.common myth,that your not supposed to do it.
3/4 "hunting" is bad yes.lugging with a manual is bad yes.towing in OD is not harmful.

About 30,000 thats all
Not sure if the owner before me ever flushed the tranny.
When i got the truck the tranny was slipping so i had a rebuild put 30.000 on it and here we are again. I would say only 15,000 miles of that we towing. Not very long.

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i got the tranny in the shop. it's having it's surgery.... I will let you guys know very soon what the helllll happend. Thanks for all the info this site is great. plus the upgrades im having done....

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The tranny in my '05 Explorer burnt up on our way to a family camping trip at 26k miles and was replaced at Ukiah Ford. The service manager there tried to tell me that Ford wouldn't warranty the transmission if I towed with the truck in OD... I know that it would continuously hunt between 4th and OD (it's a 5 speed tranny) if I didn't lock out OD (even on flat ground)

I have never towed without having OD locked out since, and here we are with 55k miles and the tranny is shot again...

Towing with OD locked out may be a myth, but it is a proven fact that newer Ford automatics are junk (at least to me it is...) :rolleyes:

sootman73

Reaction score
Also I know a guy that is using an A/C condenser for his cooler, he swears by it!

yea i have an AC condenser from an ambulance on my truck. i drove to kentucky in 95 degree weather, bed loaded full for camping, and up and down those hills. i thnik i saw 170 degree trans temps.;Sweet usually never moves off of 160 though. i just gota re-plumb it to seal up the little drips.

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what is the gcwr of a 94 f350 dulley. both truck and trailer together i am just wondering if i need to put some 410 gears in her to help out. I am real close to 19000 total everything. well maybe add 500lbs for the woman lol let me take that back 350 maybe.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited: