Sanity Check: Good or bad deal?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my question is:
WHY IN THE FLYIN FRACK ARE YOU STILL ONLINE AND NOT HANDING HIM MONEY RIGHT NOW????
JUMP ON THAT!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhhh... I think so.... if everything has a title. The cc is probably worth that.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my question is:
WHY IN THE FLYIN FRACK ARE YOU STILL ONLINE AND NOT HANDING HIM MONEY RIGHT NOW????
JUMP ON THAT!

First time he's available is tomorrow after 5... that at least gives me overnight to gut check the decision to buy. Your vote is noted ;Sweet

No title on the Xcab, but I need a newer engine for my xcab. I'll take the seats out and mod them into one of the crewcabs. Current thought is to strip/scrap the xcab and possibly sell my 94 crewcab and keep the one in the ad.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, 2WD automatic, no info on miles, obviously seen some rust, obvious electrical problem...... I guess the parts donor and the trailer sweeten the deal. Amazing how long someone can drone in a CL ad (apparently unable to find his SHIFT or PERIOD keys the whole time) and still provide so little info. What year, engine, drive, tranny, miles are the donor truck? Buy it on the condition that the selle buys a keyboard with all working keys.... ;)

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad he put the tiny amount of info that he did on there... Some guys just say "work truck" and put in a photo.

Pain in the ass part: trailer may not be able to make the trip with the truck loaded. Is there an easy way to rigidly tow an obs f250???

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
may wanna look into other towing options.
take your truck, get a trailer and another driver.
nothing worse than being on the side of the road with an unknown condition of a recent purchase.
load the super cab on a good U-Haul trailer or something, and drive your truck and the crew home.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, 2WD automatic, no info on miles, obviously seen some rust, obvious electrical problem...... I guess the parts donor and the trailer sweeten the deal. Amazing how long someone can drone in a CL ad (apparently unable to find his SHIFT or PERIOD keys the whole time) and still provide so little info. What year, engine, drive, tranny, miles are the donor truck? Buy it on the condition that the selle buys a keyboard with all working keys.... ;)

This times 100. The guy sounds like a ******. Who lists a truck for sale without any details except that he is tied of BS. Punctuation is your friend. With that said, 2 trucks and a trailer sounds like a deal. I wonder why he is having trouble selling it.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who lists a truck for sale without any details except that he is tied of BS. Punctuation is your friend.
Thing is, that's becoming "par for the course" on CL. On the Saturn site we have a long-standing thread dedicated to god-awful Saturn CL (/eBay/kijiji/whatever) ads. Everything from seriously bad pics (finger on lens, etc), to waaaay too much "sob story" info in the ad, to mangled English, to STOOOPID high asking prices, to non-existent make/model names, sometimes even the ad text and the pics are for COMPLETELY different vehicles.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This times 100. The guy sounds like a ******. Who lists a truck for sale without any details except that he is tied of BS. Punctuation is your friend. With that said, 2 trucks and a trailer sounds like a deal. I wonder why he is having trouble selling it.

Is it just me, or are private sellers on Craigslist becoming general garden variety **********? It seems like every other ad I come across ends with something like No Low Ballers! Not Time Wasters! Serious Inquiries Only! My **** is GOLD! - you can't have it! Blah Blah blah... I can understand if he was selling a 1969 all original charger/stang/camero and wanted to weed out test pilots, but sheesh...

Ok here's my assessment of this Ad:

7.3 IDI - check coolant to see if cavitation will be an issue down the line.

E4ODs for this year are NOT legendary for reliability. ESPECIALLY if bolted to a turbocharged engine. Electrical issues in an E4OD equipped truck is not fun. Hopefully his other problems don't affect the tranny.
- Find out the history; How many miles? Is the transmission rebuilt? Who rebuilt it? Insist on a test drive!

Interior is shown from the BEST POSSIBLE ANGLE. This is deliberate because the driver's side seat is probably worn out, hence the cammo style seat cover.

He's also showing the passenger side of the truck, which is generally the better side so don't expect the other side to look better.

No details given on the parts truck. Is it even a diesel??

Don't assume its a good deal because all of the big ticket items could easily be lemons. Take your time and go through it carefully even if his is as ornery as his ad leads us to believe.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parts truck is 7.3 as well. Absolute worst case I end up with a trailer, tires, misc bits for my current 2 trucks, core pumps, injectors to rebuild, cams for typ4, and turbo kit for $2k.

He had 2 other buyers no-show and is grumpy.

Your assessment is good for a first time buyer, but my interest is more in the parts and trailer. I already have 2 running trucks

Last edited:

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has to be at least $2k worth of stuff there and probably more...maybe even double. Have to figure the PITA factor to get everything home in one trip as I hate to pay then make a couple of trips hoping nothing is missing on the return trip.

Craigslist Sellers can be bad but much of it is due to even worse Buyers. Many low ball you and when you finally agree on a price they say they will pick it up next week or want you to deliver it...F that. Many want the item cheap cuz they have to drive so far...not my problem...I'm not paying for your gas. I got one scammer, who I'm sure got my number from CL, texting me right now wanting money and wondering when the shipping company can pick up the casket. I don't have anyone's money and certainly no spare caskets around here.

Yes, I'm one of those ***** that wants cash, no delivery and will only hold items for about an hour...but I take clear pics from every angle, research my prices and try to stay under the competition for quick sale and if it's something that needs to work to be worth something they can test it before buying.