Sad to say some goodbyes

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was a member before I owned a IDI. Learned a ton, still am. Can't remember if mine was first, or my Brother got a IDI, I worked on it. Engine succumbed to cavitation on a trip from ok to IN. Pulled trans from mine to put in my PSD, as the IDI wasn't in great shape. (Overnight job, as I was going to use that to tow brother home lol) then pulled that IDI engine to go in my brothers truck, basically scrapped the rest.
Then brothers truck popped the head gasket not long after. I was standing in the yard when it happened. Fired it up, heard a pop, then milkshake on the ground. Compression was making it out. Eventually swapped hg's and installed studs, then he sold it. I think the guy was from AR.
And here I am, just the PSD now.
Put a 6.2 gm IDI in my 79 Chevy before owing the ford idi's though. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WAIT ONE MINUTE! I have to agree that you should keep the IDI. Even if you do sell it, there's absolutely no reason why you have to leave this sub forum. Look at 79jasper. If I remember right, he sold his IDI, but he's still here. Your advice is still valuable and the experiences you had with your IDI truck (good and bad) are unique to you. You'd still be welcome here even without an IDI truck.
Yep what he said I don’t own an IDI anymore and was gone for quite a while but I am back and still have input. And have a 6.0 PSD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Sidewinded_idi if it is going to be a work truck/hauling truck why not put a dually flat bed on it and build sides for when you need a box? As much as you haul I would almost think it would work out better not having sides to damage?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Sidewinded_idi if it is going to be a work truck/hauling truck why not put a dually flat bed on it and build sides for when you need a box? As much as you haul I would almost think it would work out better not having sides to damage?
in kali.....
if you have a pickup bed on the truck, you don't have to stop at scales.
if you have a flatbed or service body on the truck, scale stops are manditory. I used to worry about scale/DOT issues until I built the Sulaco. below is what a kali scale runner looks like :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in kali.....
if you have a pickup bed on the truck, you don't have to stop at scales.
if you have a flatbed or service body on the truck, scale stops are manditory. I used to worry about scale/DOT issues until I built the Sulaco. below is what a kali scale runner looks like :D

Bricknose truck with an obs front clip?

Stuart Perkins

Reaction score
Lifted is a matter of use. I have work trucks which remain totally stock ride and shoes like my IDI Turbo F350, but there are times out where I live that something with the larger tires you can put on a lifted truck is the only thing getting around other than a tractor. Had a time here a couple of years ago where the neighbor's loaded grain truck broke through the road bed. We had a "new" guy grading the roads and he cut it too flat...and it was a very wet year. It took their 600hp 4x4 tractor to pull the truck out.

The only things getting through until they fixed the road were 4x4's on 33's or better. Thankfully, I had one.

What really gets me is the city boys who slam a pickup to the ground...but they normally only do that to a 1/2 ton, which is a truck shaped car in my opinion.

You can never too many running work trucks. Of course, I get to tag anything older than 35 years as Antique, which is $17/yr to keep tagged and I only insure the ones I'm actually using...so a small collection isn't too expensive to keep sitting around. A phone call and one of my sitting ones is insured again in the event that I actually need to use one of the backups.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Right, because I can't fit 33's on my stock suspension? Lol
You also know that for every inch of diameter you go up, you're only gaining half an inch of clearance with the axles?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck you’ll be happy with that engine and transmission combination. A farmer I know has about 550k on his 7.3 powerstroke. No major repairs to this day.
Keep a spare cam position sensor with you at all times. They tend to go out periodically and at the wrong place & time.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, because I can't fit 33's on my stock suspension? Lol
You also know that for every inch of diameter you go up, you're only gaining half an inch of clearance with the axles?

Driver’s ability makes more of a difference than tire size.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driver’s ability makes more of a difference than tire size.

True. I’ve gotten many stock cars through places guys with big trucks wouldn’t cross. But I grew up on a ranch and racing motocross so I’m very familiar in reading terrain.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nice truck you’ll be happy with that engine and transmission combination. A farmer I know has about 550k on his 7.3 powerstroke. No major repairs to this day.
Keep a spare cam position sensor with you at all times. They tend to go out periodically and at the wrong place & time.
While I do carry one, I've never had a issue.
Between my 94, the 96, and the F550 I drove for work.
Some people say to carry a IPR. That's not necessary. Maybe just the solenoid. As the valve itself doesn't really wear out. Can get clogged though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online